'West Side Story (3-Disc Collector's Edition)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Default 'West Side Story (3-Disc Collector's Edition)' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'West Side Story (3-Disc Collector's Edition).' He says there are a couple of minor glitches here, but overall, this is still a real treat on Blu-ray! A lustrous transfer, powerful audio, and plenty of extras help the film come alive like never before. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5577...estory_ce.html
Old 11-21-2011, 03:42 PM

WOW impressive! How come not MUST OWN?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
WOW impressive! How come not MUST OWN?
Basically because of the transition error between the overture and the first shot of the movie. I just couldn't justify saying "must own" when the original film has been tampered with. Once Fox corrects this, then I would definitely classify it as must own.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 PM

I bought the Target version since it was cheaper than everyone else in my area. The wife and I were super-impressed. It was her first time watching West Side Story. The intermission was greatly appreciated for the bathroom breaks.

The fade out issue sucks as it is a solid trasition from art to reality (or vice versa) but really, it's not anything to truly worry about. As far as I was concerned, it doesn't detract one bit from the openning shots and music. I get if the purists are up in arms and they have every right to be upset.

I detest musicals with a passion (see Sound of Music - and I'm a huge fan of Robert Wise). West Side Story is not only one that I can stomach, it's a film that I truly consider to be one of the best ever. Definite Must Own.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 PM

Valid point, David, thank you.

Flex, I can understand your point as well. I personally will wait for this to be fixed.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 PM

Flex, I see your point, too. The error is nothing that particularly bothers me either, and I will continue to watch and enjoy this version. But if Fox makes good on its promise to fix it, then it would be nice to have the movie as it was originally produced and envisioned. That said, unless someone is a diehard purist, there's no reason NOT to get this version, as you said.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Dbacks I must say I'm disappointed hearing about the sound, that they have a six track master and decided to go with the four.
Yes I know there is already a start to a real surround but the 7.1 Lossless track was remastered off the 4.0 right? Imagine if they had those extra two channels to work with. Heck they wouldn't even need to offer the 4.0, they could offer just 6.1 Lossless.
I must say I'm amazed they found this has a six track master. Was this before Les Paul started multi-tracking?
Also I have to say seeing this movie has a six track master, as well as Fantasia with four, it really shows how big Musicals were for the moneymakers.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
Basically because of the transition error between the overture and the first shot of the movie. I just couldn't justify saying "must own" when the original film has been tampered with. Once Fox corrects this, then I would definitely classify it as must own.
Has this been fixed?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSOG View Post
Has this been fixed?
They released an updated version that has an unsatisfying fix. The transition doesn't fade all the way to black but it's still so dark it's pretty clear its still not right. But it is an improvement. The fixed copies will have an updated bar code number on the back of the case.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor View Post
They released an updated version that has an unsatisfying fix. The transition doesn't fade all the way to black but it's still so dark it's pretty clear its still not right. But it is an improvement. The fixed copies will have an updated bar code number on the back of the case.
So, there's no way to tell if you order online?