High-Def Digest Holiday Gift Guide 2011: The Best Blu-rays of the Year - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 PM

Default High-Def Digest Holiday Gift Guide 2011: The Best Blu-rays of the Year

We give you "The Best Blu-rays of the Year," a list of movies that you should be asking for if you do not already own them:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._the_Year/8119
Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Former Member

an interesting list, to be sure. pretty gosh darned natural combinations when you "cheated" on your top 10.

i guess i'm alone on staffers hating x-men: first class. it IS a near top notch disc, but damn, that film, just damn. blech.

just the mentions of titles to come for the rest of the year that couldn't be included makes me seriously anxious for 2011's final month.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 PM

Eclectic list. I enjoyed 80% of those flicks.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 AM
HDD Contributor

Don't understand why a show written as poorly as Walking Dead's first season was gets so much praise. The episodes got worse as it went along until that absolute dud of a finale. And what's the Breaking Bad / Tarantino connection? I imagine QT writing something much odder
Old 11-18-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bicho View Post
And what's the Breaking Bad / Tarantino connection? I imagine QT writing something much odder
I notice a lot of Tarantino in the show's writing - the actual words on the page and tone they convey. The dialog is natural and interesting. It has the ability to convey intensity without any intense thing happening on screen. If you've seen season three, think back to episode seven when Hank gets suspended and leaves the grocery store with flowers for Marie. Nothing intense has happened and nothing intense is happening, but the second you see Hank walking through the parking lot you know exactly what is going to happen - even before he receives the phone call tipping him off. To me, that's reminiscent of Tarantino through and through. Think of the opening scene of Inglourious Basterds - 10+ minutes of nothing but harmless and playful dialog. Before you see what's under the floorboards, you're already tense and nervous. Breaking Bad does that same thing on an almost week-to-week basis. I'm glued to this series.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 AM

Yet another great article and I agree with Luke's choices 100%!

One minor niggle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luke Hickman
'The Jurassic Park' series is definitely the least of the three, containing only one perfectly solid film - the first. The original 'Jurassic Park' was the first film to create fully CG animals - dinosaurs, to be specific - that interact with physical actors. Compared to the effects of today, it's average.
Jurassic Park's effects are still awesome, even today. 90% of all CGI-movies currently playing don't live up to its 18-year old sfx. In fact, Tron Legacy was the first movie since Jurassic Park that made me say: "wow, now that's some impressive CGI"
Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 PM
HDD Contributor

He's good at it, but people have been doing that long before Tarantino in films, TV, and books.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Pretty accurate list...the only two items I would have included would be season 4 of Mad Men and Hanna. They're truly stunning in blu-ray.