'Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn: 25th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Default 'Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn: 25th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn: 25th Anniversary Edition.' He says this offers a significant improvement over the previous Blu-ray release. Read his review for all the details!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5676/evildead2_lg.html
Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Buying a blu-ray of the same movie twice? What the fuck!!

Do you marry the same woman twice?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 PM

When was the commentary recorded? Is it a brand new one? I hope not. I was really annoyed with the new commentary for the Evil Dead blu-ray. The old ones on prior dvd releases were better. They've told the stories so many times and been through this all ad nauseum, that their enthusiasm level was noticably down on the new ED commentary compared to prior ones. It wasn't nearly as much fun to listen to.

I was hoping this would at least contain the old commentary tracks, but it looks like it has only one. Hopefully not brand new.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noibeli View Post
Buying a blu-ray of the same movie twice? What the fuck!!

Do you marry the same woman twice?

Nice mouth and if it is a redone title with better picture, sound, and supplements why not? For $10 you can't go wrong even if you sell your old edition for $4 or $5 bucks.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentalbert View Post
When was the commentary recorded? Is it a brand new one? I hope not. I was really annoyed with the new commentary for the Evil Dead blu-ray. The old ones on prior dvd releases were better. They've told the stories so many times and been through this all ad nauseum, that their enthusiasm level was noticably down on the new ED commentary compared to prior ones. It wasn't nearly as much fun to listen to.

I was hoping this would at least contain the old commentary tracks, but it looks like it has only one. Hopefully not brand new.
According to the side bar, M. didn't place the commentary as "Exclusive HD Content" so it has to have been on a previous DVD release.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 PM

I have to ask

2 stars for extras and 2 and 1/2 for hi def extras??? Does that mean 4 and 1/2 stars total because you really can't ask for much more. I would say it's more like 3 stars for old extras and 4 and 1/2 for Hi Def extras. I mean a new 90 min documentary is awsome!! Plus some extra shorter HD extras. Really think you short changed the extras here.

However the rest of the review was great. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 AM

Good fuckin crazy movie!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawsfan View Post
2 stars for extras and 2 and 1/2 for hi def extras??? Does that mean 4 and 1/2 stars total because you really can't ask for much more.
No, it would mean 2 stars out of 5 for extras recycled from previous releases, and 2.5 stars out of 5 for new exclusive extras. The way our scoring system works, these numbers are separate and cannot be combined.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Pretty decent review regarding the specs, etc,(didn't read the movie part, it's Evil Dead II, ffs). I have the disc and some of the inflated PQ scores I've been seeing, make me wonder if we could get a reviewers group discount on eye tests.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM

i just got this yesterday, as i only owned the book of the dead edition i didnt mind double dipping for the first time on this. especially since this has 3hrs of extras vs. the 40ish mins on the dvd so it was very much worth it since i'm an extras whore.

but of course i just switched the discs because i wasn't gonna put away the gorgeous book of the dead replica it came in. i recently found the OOP 2 disc blu-ray of the first movie on ebay and as i own its book of the dead edition as well, just gonna replace the disc there too. :P

and i am very thankful and surprised to finally read a review of this movie that doesnt call it a remake. even going as far as mentioning the story behind the opening segment. its a nice change. lol