'Poirot: Series 1' and 'Poirot: Series 2' are coming January 31 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Default 'Poirot: Series 1' and 'Poirot: Series 2' are coming January 31

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6124...t_series1.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6125...t_series2.html
Old 11-11-2011, 01:49 PM

SCORE! These are awesome.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 11-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Former Member

indeed. they usually open really poorly, but gain a TON of steam as they move along. hallowe'en party is a great example. sure, they killed an annoying brat in the start, but everything up to that was BEYOND painful.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 PM

I am a diehard Poirot fan but unless the sets come with a fair amount of extras, I will have to pass on the blurays. Is it so freaking hard to put extras for us fans, is it too much to ask? How long must we wait?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:49 PM

So are these the very first episodes? They must be quite old now, Poirot seems like it's been on TV forever. It's a real Christmas staple in our house.

Very disappointing they are going with lossy audio though. When will it end?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Interesting. The US DVDs were rubbish, literally the UK DVD looks bright and clear while the US DVDs look dimmer and smeared with something. (Cadfael US vs UK is the same thing.) Anyone who has the DVD will be shocked at the clearer picture. It ought to be a wonderful improvement.

We are talking shows from 1989. A lot of rising "some day to be" stars guesting is small roles.
Honestly don't know if it will be worth while to replace the whole set with Blu.

I hated that the movies series did not have Hastings, Japp, Miss Lemon.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM

I worked on these discs and can address some of the concerns raised here.

First, there are no extras. We wish there could be, but we just don't have the resources to put together new material, and there is no existing behind the scenes footage.

As for the lossy audio, it was a choice we had to make to fit 5 episodes on each disc without compromising video quality. All future Poirot sets will be done with Linear PCM, we've almost completed work on Series 3 and it sounds perfect. Series 1 and 2 sound great as well, these masters are quite old and not in the best shape to begin with, you're not missing anything by going with Dolby.

The picture quality on these is a HUGE improvement over the past releases, it really is a night and day difference, I'm really excited to see what everyone thinks of them.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJoseph View Post
I worked on these discs and can address some of the concerns raised here.

First, there are no extras. We wish there could be, but we just don't have the resources to put together new material, and there is no existing behind the scenes footage.

As for the lossy audio, it was a choice we had to make to fit 5 episodes on each disc without compromising video quality. All future Poirot sets will be done with Linear PCM, we've almost completed work on Series 3 and it sounds perfect. Series 1 and 2 sound great as well, these masters are quite old and not in the best shape to begin with, you're not missing anything by going with Dolby.

The picture quality on these is a HUGE improvement over the past releases, it really is a night and day difference, I'm really excited to see what everyone thinks of them.
Thanks for your input NJoseph. Always nice to hear from people that actually work on the discs themselves. What is it exactly that you do/are in charge of?

Twitter: @AaronPeck