'Dumbo: 70th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM

Default 'Dumbo: 70th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Dumbo: 70th Anniversary Edition' has just been posted. Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2649/dumbo_se.html
Old 11-08-2011, 06:08 PM

Who doesn't love ELEPHANTS!?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Dumbo is still one of my all time favorite Disney films.

I have to say that I'm still a bit surprised by this getting such a low score for the Picture Quality. I've seen Dumbo dozens of times over the years, and the movie has never looked this amazing. The film is far cleaner than it has ever looked before, and their are actual COLORS in this film that I didn't even know it had prior to seeing this on Blu-Ray. The colors in this film pop, on Blu-Ray, like they never have before on any other edition of this film. The PQ is in the 4-5 range for me, considering the age of this film.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
Dumbo is still one of my all time favorite Disney films.

I have to say that I'm still a bit surprised by this getting such a low score for the Picture Quality. I've seen Dumbo dozens of times over the years, and the movie has never looked this amazing. The film is far cleaner than it has ever looked before, and their are actual COLORS in this film that I didn't even know it had prior to seeing this on Blu-Ray. The colors in this film pop, on Blu-Ray, like they never have before on any other edition of this film. The PQ is in the 4-5 range for me, considering the age of this film.
I agree, "Dumbo" is truly a Disney classic. Compared to previous editions, the colors pop and show amazing clarity for a 70 yo animated film. Like Nate, I too am disappointed that the PQ wasn't better given the delay for the US release, but am glad that the video score is still above average (IOW, it didn't fare any worse). It sounds like I might keep my "Big Top Edition" DVD and swap this in for the substandard version from this combo.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM

I have been patiently waiting for a full review of the U.S. version of this, in my all-time top five Disney films.

Being it is one of favs I ordered the Mexican import (seems like forever ago) with the notion I may indeed have to purchase it again when it hits the U.S. I have got burned once or twice with imports and I am happy to see the Mexican release is actually the same, and with the extra disc, it is actually a bit better. So there is no need to purchase it again.

But I am also a little saddened by the fact Disney did not put a little more effort into the domestic release. Dumbo seems to get the proverbial "shaft" each time with Disney. They had an additional 2 years to make it more spectacular and instead released a downgrade to the import. Just a wee bit disappointing...but oh well, at least it finally has seen a domestic release and for the masses who know little to nothing about imports they should be pleased.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsese59 View Post
I have been patiently waiting for a full review of the U.S. version of this, in my all-time top five Disney films.

Being it is one of favs I ordered the Mexican import (seems like forever ago) with the notion I may indeed have to purchase it again when it hits the U.S. I have got burned once or twice with imports and I am happy to see the Mexican release is actually the same, and with the extra disc, it is actually a bit better. So there is no need to purchase it again.

But I am also a little saddened by the fact Disney did not put a little more effort into the domestic release. Dumbo seems to get the proverbial "shaft" each time with Disney. They had an additional 2 years to make it more spectacular and instead released a downgrade to the import. Just a wee bit disappointing...but oh well, at least it finally has seen a domestic release and for the masses who know little to nothing about imports they should be pleased.
bingo. see also: Bolt 3D. why we're regularly last in line, and get the same stuff at some point (sometimes never: see: prison break s2, s4, the mentalist, so on), only at a higher price or with less to justify the cost, it's shameful.