'Salo: Or the 120 Days of Sodom' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 PM

Default 'Salo: Or the 120 Days of Sodom' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed on of the most controversial films ever made 'Salo: Or the 120 Days of Sodom.' Read on...

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4217/salo.html
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM

Definitely picking this one up to gross out friends.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Former Member

Can you import this into Australia, or is it still banned?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 AM

Default Salo: great film

This is the greatest film I will never see again. Absolutely, disgustingly, frighteningly perfect through to the last scene of dialogue. More horrifying than any film in the horror genre, not merely because of its imagery but because of its incredibly bleak worldview.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Nate this part should have read:

"Good idea: picking up this Blu-ray based on the strength of the video. Bad idea: eating chocolate marmalade when watching this film."
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffeman View Post
Nate this part should have read:

"Good idea: picking up this Blu-ray based on the strength of the video. Bad idea: eating chocolate marmalade when watching this film."
even without watching the film at the same time, that just sounds bloody revolting.

does it stick to your teeth? if so, perfect fit.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM

I hated the film, but I want to point one thing out from the review: Nate said there is meaning behind all the terrible acts the film displays. However, when I saw it, I didn't see any meaning. I felt everything shown on screen was pointless and didn't add to a theme. How are we, the viewers, supposed to know that this was about fascism without having to research about the film before we see it? All I saw in the film were rich people being bored with their lives so they decided to just do things because they liked to. Just my opinion.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Former Member

moviewiz, it's analogy. it's hard for me to watch a film like the human centipede, salo, or a serbian film, the shock films with extreme graphic (or in centipede's case, implied) situations that have a hidden story and meaning belief without focussing on said meanings.

the fact that you have four RULERS, using the police and secret forces at will to do as they want with their population, for their own sick enjoyment, it's hard to not see that as a political statement, in my eyes. i didn't have to do research to understand the meanings behind the film. it took me a few viewings, each time i caught more and more meaning to it, until now i don't even see the shock anymore. i just see the brutal realism it preaches.

much like A Serbian Film has Vukmir's speech in the NBP scene, explaining the entire film, Salo, you have to pay real close attention, as the meaning to the film IS spoken, in a sense. even the rules of the house, there's a lot going on in that scene.

you are entitled to your opinion, though. i'd advise a few repeat view throughs, because there IS a lot going on under the surface to Salo.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
Salo, you have to pay real close attention, as the meaning to the film IS spoken, in a sense.
This part?

"We Fascists are the only true anarchists, naturally, once we're masters of the state. In fact, the one true anarchy is that of power."
Old 11-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
Can you import this into Australia, or is it still banned?
Depends on whether or not me kangaroo is tied down or not, Sport.