Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Warner Bros to stop selling Harry Potter DVD and Blu-Ray on December 29

From Cinemablend
    That means you will have 48 days to pick up the 8 film collection or Deathly Hallows part 2 to complete your collection. No waiting for amazon price drops on this I guess.
    I have the 8th film preordered from amazon but this infuriates me. It gives the consumer almost no chance to buy the previous 7 or the last film. That window is much less than even certain Disney movies

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

So for those people waiting for the rest of the Ultimate Versions - sorry Charlie?
    I will NOT be rushed to buy the rest of this series.
    Are they making another related series (like the James Bond moratorium - expect it to return with all titles next year?)

Lame. I was waiting for them to release the entire series in extended cuts. Didn't they get up to halfway with that?

Sarang is offline Member

I hope this means Warner will end up fixing the 4th movie, including the extra's the HD DVD has that the Blu-ray didn't.
    OLED, your CRT replacement!!! Perfect blacks and contrast.

Vortex3D is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
    I hope this means Warner will end up fixing the 4th movie, including the extra's the HD DVD has that the Blu-ray didn't.
    Film 4 and 5 picture in picture from HD DVD already been added to Blu-ray Ultimate Edition. My guess is when WB re-opens the vault, the old Ultimate Edition movie disc plus some bonus materials will become the regular edition and the new "super duper" edition will have more bonus materials from the cutting floor.

This is a clever strategy for WB to clear out all current inventory. Film 1-5 regular edition came out when Blu-ray was still at war with HD DVD.

Gray Wolf is offline Founding Member

I've been holding out for said uber collection anyways
    new years resolution: post more on High-Def Digest forums

it would seem I failed at this resolution

More info:
    http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

First of all, Warner Home Video has officially announced that they're placing Harry Potter on moratorium on 12/29. All DVDs, Blu-rays and box sets will stop shipping to retailers as of that date. That includes Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and the Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection. The reason? The studio is planning a massive Complete Harry Potter re-issue in late 2012, and is trying to pump up demand for it. As we reported on 10/3, the studio has revealed the following...

"Hard-core Potter fans will be pleased to know that 2011 is not the end of the Harry Potter film franchise on DVD and Blu-ray. Warner Home Video plans to release a comprehensive Harry Potter film collection, with even more extras and collectible premiums in 2012. More details about the collection will be available at a later date."

paaron46 is offline Movie Dude

Quote Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
    Lame. I was waiting for them to release the entire series in extended cuts. Didn't they get up to halfway with that?
    Only the first two movies were released with extended cuts in the Ultimate Editions. The other Ult. Editions have been nothing more but repackaged discs with an added doc on each.

taygan315 is offline Member

I can see it now....they are going to re release the Potter flicks in late 2012 in conjunction with the reboot of THE ENTIRE POTTER FRANCHISE,lol. Chamber of Secrets coming Christmas 2012,lol. Not again.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"

gravis778 is offline Member

I can see the Uber edition containing 3D versions of all the films. Wasn't there an article posted on that a few months back?

As for me, I am debating on if I REALLY want to buy an uber edition. I already have 3 different editions of the first movie (the original Box set on Blu-Ray, the Ultimate edition, and the UK edition), and the Ultimate Edition of Chamber. Unless there is just a wealth of new materials and extended editions of ALL movies, an Uber Edition will probably be a no-buy for me.

I guess this means the newsgroups and torrent sites will be doing even more business now.

Dr Kain is online now Member

So they aren't giving us a 3D version of the 8th movie? That is some ****ed up **** WB!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
    Only the first two movies were released with extended cuts in the Ultimate Editions. The other Ult. Editions have been nothing more but repackaged discs with an added doc on each.
    Thanks Aaron. Hopefully they'll ALL get released in extended cut versions.

Quote Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
    Thanks Aaron. Hopefully they'll ALL get released in extended cut versions.
    I think that is the reason WB stopped releasing Ext. Edition after the first two movies. It doesn't matter if the directors said the theatrical edition is the complete edition because if the movie studio wants to do multiple dips, they can easily find reasons to do it. Pre-theater cut is always a longer cut for any movie. If the director doesn't want to get involved with Ext. Edition, the movie studio can use one of the pre-theater cut that has a few seconds longer scenes.

Plenty of fans will buy as many editions as the movie studios will release.

Closing the vault is nothing more than another excuse to increase sales on current edition. Giving US buyers less than 2 months or UK buyers less than a month are a clear indication. Then, when WB reopens the vault later in 2012, they can market Harry Potter like a new franchise again like another "new" Harry Potter movie.

Since it's unlikely WB can recall every unsold copies from the stores even they do it, you can still find current editions from smaller stores through 2012 when the triple dip edition comes out.

Julian is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    So they aren't giving us a 3D version of the 8th movie? That is some ****ed up **** WB!!!
    Available online through European retailers, such as play.com! Region free, as always. Go ahead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast