'Attack the Block' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM

Default 'Attack the Block' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron says 'Attack the Block' is recommended for any movie lover looking for a good time. Read his review to find out why!

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5884/attack_block.html
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 AM

Yeah... didn't think too much of this movie.

It was ok, but certainly overhyped by all the "best movie of the year" comments.

I didn't get a connection with any of the characters, except maybe the Jodie Whittaker character. Ron was probably the most uninteresting character that I have seen Nick Frost play yet, and the attempted humour just didn't work for me.

While I recognise that the film is low budget, I found the alien design to be neither inspired or effective. It reminded me of playing the classic game Another World, with its silhouetted alien characters, and they just brought no sense of danger or dread (or humour, for that matter).

While I empathise with those who suffered through Skyline, it at least had a kick-ass and truly memorable ending. I only wish I could say the same for Attack The Block.

Hopefully I might see this again a few years or so down the line and change my opinion, but the recent memory of this movie is pretty low. Bummer!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
While I empathise with those who suffered through Skyline, it at least had a kick-ass and truly memorable ending. I only wish I could say the same for Attack The Block.
'Skyline's ending made me want to throw stuff at my TV just so I could make it stop.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 AM

The only crime with Attack the Block is that it wasn't a huge blockbuster success. I've seen it like 5 times. It makes me angry that they botched the marketing of this film in the states. It will no doubt be a huge cult film and go on to be considered one of the greatest creature films ever made. Amazingly tight script that moves so well pacing wise, Characters you grow to love, comedy, horror, excellent creature design, an ending that makes me emotional, it's absolutely flawless.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 AM

I'll definitely be getting this when the price drops. Hadn't heard about it before, but it sounds fresh and interesting.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Watched this last week and I really liked it. It gels quite well and the characters all seem to fit quite well.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:05 PM

I only managed to sit through 45 mins of this movie.
I just could not find any empathy or connection to the group of 'hoodlums' that formed the primary cast of the film.
Sadly, they were still alive after 45 mins and all I really wanted was for them to be quickly killed off by the aliens. That did not look like it was going to happen so the stop button was put into action.
No idea how the film ended and quite frankly I dont care !
1/10.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Yeah, didn't care for the flick all that match. With the exception of Jodie Whittaker, why would I care about these criminal kids? They were all unlikable. Was the funny cockney accents supposed to make me care? "Hey, they talk funny, lol, zomg!"

Naw, bruv.

The aliens were cool, but this reminded me of Devil's Rejects in that they tried to make you root for the bad guys to win. Didn't work for me. The Moses character was a piece of shit.

/rant
Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 AM

I hated them at first, and grew to root for them by the end. That's the point, they do actually become completely likeable and you do want them to succeed - especially when they start to suffer the consequences of what they have done and realise exactly why it's all happening.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootball View Post
I hated them at first, and grew to root for them by the end. That's the point, they do actually become completely likeable and you do want them to succeed - especially when they start to suffer the consequences of what they have done and realise exactly why it's all happening.
And that took to way too long. I was over it by then.