jed
    jed is offline HDD Founder

Default 'Shooter' - High-Def Digest review

Peter's review of 'Shooter' is up. Although he says this Blu-ray edition lags slightly behind its HD DVD counterpart in terms of audio, overall it's still quite strong with a four star video transfer and an insightful supplements package that's well presented in 1080p video.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/shooter.html

and again, they cut the audio bitrate in half for no reason at all

screw HD for now lol, im sticking to rentals

yankeefankc is offline Member

In the review he said Shooter comes to hi-def day and date with the standard def, but the standard def of the film has been at Best Buy for three weeks.

taygan315 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by yankeefankc View Post
    In the review he said Shooter comes to hi-def day and date with the standard def, but the standard def of the film has been at Best Buy for three weeks.
    True. I have been fighting the urge to buy the sd dvd for that long. No worries though, I will be picking this one up asap.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"

mrkiller is offline Member

cant wait for it

Saw the movie on SDVD a few weeks back. Didn't think it was anythign special at all. I'll pass on any versions.

renspacecom is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
    Saw the movie on SDVD a few weeks back. Didn't think it was anythign special at all. I'll pass on any versions.
    ditto,saw it on SDVD,worth watching once,not a purchase title for me though.
    HD:27
    BD=28
    My Collection http://www.dvdspot.com/member=renspacecom
    Want to see on HD/BD:Legend,Sin City,Stormriders,Lord of the Rings,Lawrence of Arabia,13th Warrior,Dark City,Night Watch,Willlow,Dark Crystal,Labyrinth,Mars Attacks!

"Get Medieval" at www.Renspace.com

VT JJR is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BandofBrothers View Post
    and again, they cut the audio bitrate in half for no reason at all

screw HD for now lol, im sticking to rentals
    Paramount just pisses me off to no end with this. I finally broke down and emailed [email protected].

To whom it may concern:

What is the reason for not adding next generation audio (PCM 5.1, Dolby TruHD, DTS-HD, etc) to Paramount's Blu-ray releases? Why do you give HD DVD releases DD+? That's better than DD but still not what the people that spent $500 - $1000 on next generation "DVDs". I am paying a premium over DVD's and I only get DD. Blu-ray is not just about the increased quality of video but also audio.

I was hoping you wouldn't screw up "Shooter", but you did. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and Paramount.

Paramount will not be seeing any of my money until they can give the consumer a worthy product. I'll give you a hint, look at Buena Vista's releases and read the reviews or watch/listen to them yourself. Uncompressed PCM or Dolby TruHD is the way to go with the next generation optical. Leave DD to your DVD's.
    Pioneer Kuro 50" (5020)
    Mitsubishi 46" 1080p Flat Panel LCD
    Onkyo TX-SR604
    Klipsch C-2 center
    Klipsch B-2 fronts and rears
    Klipsch 12" sub
    DIRECTV HR20
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    Wii
    Blu-rays: 55

2nd_Gear is offline Member

Re: audio. I agree, both DD and DD+ are crap in comparison to PCM. I'll be renting Shooter instead of buying.

anyone else heard some strange audio buzzing noices in the middle of the film ?? The part where Mark gets sugar ect. from the store in the dark ?! its a big problem with the audio

arevalosocom is offline Member

As a gun nut I loved this movie.

Not everything was accurate but it was done rather well.

Watched it today on blu ray.

Very nice.

im gonna replace this disk with another and see what happens, if it still has the buzzing sound its 100% the movies problem not the disk

RedSnoddyBLU is offline Member

Default To the reviewer

"MIA from this featurette is the film's star Mark Wahlberg, but director Antoine Fuqua, producer Ric Kidney, screenwriter Jonathan Lemkin and novelist Stephen Hunter all weigh in to praise the film's realism."

So who was that guy the Gunnery Sergeant took to the rifle ranges? Sure looked like Marky Mark to me. Did you even watch this documentary?

illegalprelude is offline Founding Member

yea, my friend brought this over the other day. Picture was awesome but no PCM. wtf
    "PeAcE is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past"
    PowerMac G5 + MacBook Air+ Custom Gaming PC + PSPgo +500GB PlayStation 3 (Linux) + Xbox 360 Elite + Harmony 1000 + TiVo Series 3+ XM + Panamax 5100 + Sony 60" SXRD + Denon 2807 + Onkyo 6.1 Surround + AppleTV+ iPhone 3GS
    PSN: Fusion_Id
    It dreams in Blu-ray

LembasBread is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
    Picture was awesome but no PCM. wtf
    It's not just the lack of PCM that's the problem with the sound. It's a rather bland mix that's not very original to begin with, imo. I'm sure the producers spent mucho dinero paying the audio post production team and the most they could come up with was using a sound library.

If you listen to the machine gunner in the helicopter during the ranch cabin shootout, it's the exact sound effect of Cole Hauser's M-60 E3 from Tears of the Sun. How original.

As a side note, Tears of the Sun was also an Antoine Fuqua flick...
    "I think mine would look better if it was in Dubly" - Nigel Tufnel

"The PCM 5.1 mix is clearly superior -- it could bitch-slap the Dolby with one hand tied behind its back." - Peter M. Bracke

"I know what the final product should look like - Blu Ray suits my films better," - Michael Bay, director/producer