'Branded to Kill' and 'Tokyo Drifter' are coming December 13 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Default 'Branded to Kill' and 'Tokyo Drifter' are coming December 13

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5899/branded_kill.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5900/tokyo_drifter.html
Old 09-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Great releases. I wasn't expecting this so Criterion totally blew me away! Will get both in Christmas as gifts. I really like the re-designed covers, the Tokyo Drifter one is really beautiful and one-of-a-kind. Surprised no one else has commented on this yet, where are you Criterion fans ?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Yeah, I really dig the cover for "Tokyo Drifter." The many Bond-esque poses of the protagonist in the yellowish-orange jacket contrasts beautifully against the stark, black background. And the color of the gun spark which mirrors the clever use of the neon in the title just oozes très coolness.

I'm not familiar with either movie, but if it's a Criterion I'll have to look into further.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:34 PM

I own both DVDs, and while the cover art is indeed superior on the blu releases, I don't believe either film is great enough to rebuy. I, personally would have preferred Story of a Prostitute (that would have been especially cool if they included Desertion at Dawn, another film based on the same source material, with a screenplay written by Kurosawa, and which was filmed ~15 years earlier, at a time when there was a more conservative film industry/culture in Japan), and am not really interested in seeing them again any time soon.

Actually, I was not overly impressed with the announced any December releases, Design for Living being the only one I'm actually likely to buy soon. I'm actually glad about that, as November is chock-full of awesome Criterion releases.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:44 AM

I really wanted to like both of these movies when I watched the original DVD releases, but I just couldn't get into either of them.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 AM

I just rewatched Tokyo Drifter last night...what a great movie!

I originally watched it on Hulu (through the Criterion offering), then shortly went out and bought the blu-ray.

It turns out that the blu-ray has much easier to understand subtitles, making the story much easier to follow.

Now I'm considering picking up 'Branded to Kill' during the current B&N blu-ray sale.