'Straw Dogs' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM

Default 'Straw Dogs' - High-Def Digest Review

The classic film 'Straw Dogs' hits Blu-ray in style! Find out why E says this one is highly recommended!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5655/straw_dogs.html
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM

First, I would like to say that I enjoyed E's review very much. As a huge Peckinpah fan it's fun to read a review with as much enthusiasm. When I first saw Straw Dogs, I was probably much too young and I may have been scarred for life. It just hit me on a gut level that's hard to forget. In particular, the graphic nature of the film in combination with the build up/tension. It's a mystery to me why this film is being remade. Just a cash grab I guess. However, without the remake I doubt we would be getting the original on blu! While I respect the notion of this being Peckinpah's most accomplished film, I would have to give that to The Wild Bunch myself. Other favorites of mine are Cross of Iron and The Getaway. I think I would have a seizure if Cross of Iron was released on Blu Ray! I'm not sure how many people have actually seen the film so I don't know that there is much interest/money in getting a high def release so I won't get my hopes up. Still, this blu ray is very exciting and it's nice to have another Peckinpah film in high def! Hey, maybe they will remake Cross of Iron and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid so we can get the originals on blu ray! I doubt it because people usually don't like it when the Germans are the protagonists in a WWII film ha ha. Thanks again for the great review! -John
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic0112 View Post
First, I would like to say that I enjoyed E's review very much. As a huge Peckinpah fan it's fun to read a review with as much enthusiasm. When I first saw Straw Dogs, I was probably much too young and I may have been scarred for life. It just hit me on a gut level that's hard to forget. In particular, the graphic nature of the film in combination with the build up/tension. It's a mystery to me why this film is being remade. Just a cash grab I guess. However, without the remake I doubt we would be getting the original on blu! While I respect the notion of this being Peckinpah's most accomplished film, I would have to give that to The Wild Bunch myself. Other favorites of mine are Cross of Iron and The Getaway. I think I would have a seizure if Cross of Iron was released on Blu Ray! I'm not sure how many people have actually seen the film so I don't know that there is much interest/money in getting a high def release so I won't get my hopes up. Still, this blu ray is very exciting and it's nice to have another Peckinpah film in high def! Hey, maybe they will remake Cross of Iron and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid so we can get the originals on blu ray! I doubt it because people usually don't like it when the Germans are the protagonists in a WWII film ha ha. Thanks again for the great review! -John

Cross of Iron has been out for a while in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cross-Iron-D...5869003&sr=1-3
Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 PM

I'm not a Peckinpah fan, but I agree with the review: excellent building of tension and, unlike a lot of movies, particularly modern ones, which have great setups only to fail when the action hits, this provides an effective/affective culmination of what came before.

I think it is very honest in how it displays people in as much as it all being very emotional-based, even when characters like to consider themselves (or try to force themselves) to act reasonably. Because of the somewhat fickle nature of emotions, motivations and truth about the characters become difficult to pin down, allowing the characters complexity generally forsaken for simple explanations.

Glad to read the audio and video were transferred well.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 PM

I think the BD cover should've had him wielding

Spoiler
a pot instead of the shotgun. I saw this movie as a teenager and was amazed then at how he stood his ground and used his wits to defend his home at the end, using whatever he had available.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 PM

Do we reduce points for AWFUL cover art?

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 PM

I wish Criterion would get the rights to this again. I want special features.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
I wish Criterion would get the rights to this again. I want special features.

The UK will be fully loaded.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Great review to a great movie. I had to scour the 'hood for a bit to find a decent priced copy. Finally found it at a Walmart a little out of my way for $14.99. It was worth it. Although no special features, except for trailer and tv spots, the video and audio were on point. MGM/Fox has been on a roll lately with the barebones cheapy (or somewhat cheapy) catalog titles.

I saw this movie as kid on late night broadcast tv with commercials. I was on a Peckinpah kick after I watched The Wild Bunch on Cinemax back in 1989 (?), maybe 1988 (?), and Straw Dogs was my second Peckinpah film ever. Kinda bummed me out when I later found out he had already been dead about 5 years at that point. Hey, I was a kid. What can I say?

I would love to see more Peckinpah on blu ray . MGMHD had Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia on a week ago. I got my fingers crossed we might get Alfredo Garcia as some Best Buy exclusive sometime in the 4th quarter. Probably not but at least I've got Wild Bunch and The Getaway on HD DVD and The Osterman Weekend stored on the DVR.

Any fan of this should check this out. Maybe once the remake hits home video a better special edition may come along. Right now, this is the best Straw Dogs has ever looked and I'm happy as a clam to own this blu ray.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM

I have this version of Straw Dogs for review, but will probably sell or trade my copy and get the UK version, but will most likely order Cross Of Iron from the UK first. It's decently priced over there. DOn't know if it's region free, but I am, so it doesn't matter.