'Went the Day Well? (UK Import)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM

Default 'Went the Day Well? (UK Import)' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed the largely forgotten film 'Went the Day Well? (UK Import)' He says this is a remarkable WWII film that's finally getting the kind of quality home video release it deserves. Read the review to learn more about this recommended film.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5843...aywell_uk.html
Old 09-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Excellent review for a criminally neglected gem of master film making from director Alberto Cavalcanti.
If anything this is the 1940s equivalent of a film by Quentin Tarantino because very simply no other film from the period is this dark or has the intensity of violence that is on display in Went The Day Well? The killing when it starts is shocking and this is made all the more so by just how matter of fact the style in which some of these scenes play out actually is.
Frankly some of the sequences have the ability to shock viewers even today e.g. the sequence with the Postmistress - Mrs Collins and I can only imagine that because this was made at the height of WW2, the BBFC let these scenes stand because they enhanced the propaganda narrative. Seriously though watching this must have scared the hell out of wartime audiences and yet conversely the brutal story with its stirring fightback would have also been very inspirational...

For any serious collector of film this is a must and is a dark delight to savour for the first time. A fantastic restoration from the BFI and Optimum.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 AM

I know I've asked this before, but for some reason I forget.

The PS3 is region-free right? Meaning I can play any region based blu ray?

Someone should make a list of MUST own region-x blu rays. I'd love to see that list.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
No, the PS3 is region-locked, the same as any other Blu-ray player.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I know I've asked this before, but for some reason I forget.

Someone should make a list of MUST own region-x blu rays. I'd love to see that list.

Thanks!
it's hard to keep up with region B. they have UK, France, Germany, various small Euro countries like Norway, Sweden, Czech, etc, Italy and Australia, with a couple being very prolific on releases. they're kicking our ass in terms of 3D content, though.