'The Killing' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 PM

Default 'The Killing' - High-Def Digest Review

El Bicho has reviewed the Criterion release of Kubrick's 'The Killing.' Check out his review to find out why this is so highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4901/killing.html
Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM

The inclusion of Killer's Kiss is awesome. It has very little substance to it, the characters are little more than puppets to move the story along, and the story is generally silly, but it is shot beautifully. To see in these two films what (presumably) was the reason Kubrick worked from existing material, and to recognize through this that he was honest enough with himself to recognize a weakness in creating completely original stories, is impressive when thinking about one of movie history's greats.

I am always glad when Criterion includes a second film with their features (usually docs, e.g., Bergman Island with Seventh Seal, I believe, and Satyajit Ray with The Music Room--in the latter case, I actually preferred the included film to the main feature), because they generally are more than the extended EPKs we often get. Plus, given the price of Criterion editions, a second film makes it feel more worth spending the premium.

Comparing it to the number of noirish releases Criterion has been releasing over the past year or so, The Killing is definitely superior to all, excluding, I think, MacKendrick's Sweet Smell of Success, which had the benefit of an experienced director. This was definitely one of those purchases i was more pleased and excited about after watching than in anticipation.

Last edited by xevirus; 09-02-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 PM
HDD Contributor

You can definitely tell Kubrick had a photography background while watching Kiss.

While researching the review, I discovered he took over as DP of Spartacus, but they had to keep credit for Russell Metty, who ended up winning the Oscar for the film. If true, surely that was some political FU to Kubrick because word had to have gotten out that Metty was dumped.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 AM

That is interesting about Spartacus, though not seeing any historical reference suggests to me this is a story that has been passed down and may have been purple-monkey-dishwashered (although perhaps not, Kubrick was obviously capable). John Baxter's biography mentions "conflict" with Metty, but does not go farther, perhaps, again, indicating the lack of a reliable source.

Regardless, the rules regarding some of thw crediting stuff in general can be a bit ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 AM

I will definitely need to own this. I need a Criterion sale soon LOL