'The Nightmare Before Christmas - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM

Default 'The Nightmare Before Christmas - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has just reviewed 'The Nightmare Before Christmas - 3D.' Find out what he thinks of the latest Blu-ray's added dimensions!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4439...ristmas3d.html
Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 PM

I am going to double dip this one...but not until October. Cant get myself to buy this yet (too early). I am a little surprised that we are not seeing some kind of coupon for this particular release. BB has it listed for $30:frown:.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Default Equipment/Equipment calibration to blame for 3D issues.

I just want to point out that Mr. Zyber has a storied history with not being able to see the 3D pop-out effect on ANY 3D Blu-ray. Some of his comments in this review about not being able to see any 3D pop-out effect should have been discussed with this caveat. It is chronicled over on the bonus view blog. Josh simply isn't getting any 3D pop-out with any 3D disc. Either his equipment -- the way it is calibrated, or the way the settings are adjusted -- or possibly a certain dynamic manifesting itself within his vision is leading to him not experiencing any 3D pop-out effect.

Please take that into consideration when reading this review. For all we know, this disc may exhibit immense and wonderful 3D pop-out on multiple occasions.

I have no intent to be abrasive or offend you in any way, Josh. I just feel that it is important for readers that do not frequent the bonus view to understand this. I would hate it if someone decided not to buy this Blu-ray 3D because your review states that there is no 3D pop-out effect.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:59 PM

In the future, I would highly recommend selling your previous disc on half.com PRIOR to the release date of the new edition. I was able to sell this one for about $20 on half.com, so I'll only end up paying about $10 for the new 4 disc 3D edition.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
I am going to double dip this one...but not until October. Cant get myself to buy this yet (too early). I am a little surprised that we are not seeing some kind of coupon for this particular release. BB has it listed for $30:frown:.
In the future, I would highly recommend selling your previous disc on half.com PRIOR to the release date of the new edition. I was able to sell this one for about $20 on half.com, so I'll only end up paying about $10 for the new 4 disc 3D edition.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 PM

You're misrepresenting what that blog post discussed. Readers, please read that post for yourselves:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/3d-popout-missing/

Also, you seem to be questioning this review having not viewed the 3D BD yourself. Readers, please take that into consideration, then read Josh's review for yourselves. He's seen 3D pop, and he's seen this disc:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihdeeohfieuhl View Post
I just want to point out that Mr. Zyber has a storied history with not being able to see the 3D pop-out effect on ANY 3D Blu-ray. Some of his comments in this review about not being able to see any 3D pop-out effect should have been discussed with this caveat. It is chronicled over on the bonus view blog. Josh simply isn't getting any 3D pop-out with any 3D disc. Either his equipment -- the way it is calibrated, or the way the settings are adjusted -- or possibly a certain dynamic manifesting itself within his vision is leading to him not experiencing any 3D pop-out effect.

Please take that into consideration when reading this review. For all we know, this disc may exhibit immense and wonderful 3D pop-out on multiple occasions.

I have no intent to be abrasive or offend you in any way, Josh. I just feel that it is important for readers that do not frequent the bonus view to understand this. I would hate it if someone decided not to buy this Blu-ray 3D because your review states that there is no 3D pop-out effect.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM

So this one leaves some of the film grain in, great, better in my opinion even though you view it as a negative, you know my feeling on the matter and we had this discussion before.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
The 2D disc in the set features the same 1.66:1 transfer as was previously issued on Blu-ray
So now we get an old DNR'd transfer in 2D again & non-OAR fake 3D, SUPER!
"Frankinweenie" & "Vincent" in SD again as well, SUPER SUPER!!
Way too go DizzyKnee.

I didn't buy the 1st home video release of this title because it wasn't anamorphic.
Nor the second; which all so lacked an anamorphic transfer.
Not the 3rd SD & 1st Boo which were DNR'd.
Same old over processed transfer & fake 3D w/o HD short films; no way.

They have a long way too go too getting me spend my $$$.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post
So this one leaves some of the film grain in, great, better in my opinion even though you view it as a negative, you know my feeling on the matter and we had this discussion before.
Yep, the grain is intact. can confirm.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
Yep, the grain is intact. can confirm.
I don't have a 3D projector, damn shame.

Can you view the 3D version as a 2D presentation like some discs allow or is that a no go with this disc. ?