'Top Gun: 25th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Default 'Top Gun: 25th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Top Gun: 25th Anniversary Edition.' Aside from new packaging and a digital copy, we've seen this release before. E tells us how the Blu-ray is holding up.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4842/topgun_25th.html
Old 08-28-2011, 03:08 PM

I never saw Top Gun in its entirety until I was way old enough to know better. I thought it was pretty cool.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Recently saw "Top Gun" on Cable in HD, it had been a while since my last view. One thing stood out in the flying sequences when ever it cut to cockpit scenes with dialog, there was no background sound of the jet. Is that way it is on the original, made all the flying scenes seem really fake, to the point I couldn't watch.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Paramount's trying again to cash in with that?!!

I don't think so! Not with me anyway!

What they truly need to do is a serious picture remastering! And approved by Tony Scott.
I really doubt that they will invest money on this, just no way jose!

* For now I'll stick with my Special Collector's Edition 2-disc set Full Screen on DVD!
...And my HD DVD copy of course.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:47 PM

I would give the hd DVD a blu ray PQ 3 1/2 stars , only dock them a half star for the 3 years of the Same top gun transfer. I will be sticking with my hd DVD copy and blu ray copy I borrowed from my brother and never gave back lol
Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
For this anniversary edition, 'Top Gun' makes a flyby with the same AVC-encoded transfer as the previous two high-def releases.
B-O-R-I-N-G-!

I'm thinking of starting a thread:
"Same Old, Same Old"
which list all the repackage re-releases.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 AM

Looks like I'll be hanging onto my HD DVD version a bit longer.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:48 PM

I've got this Top Gun Blu-ray and I think it's awesome. Movie is awesome and I can still watch it over and over. Also, the only way the movie has a homoerotic theme is if you make it that way in your own mind. This topic has been discussed a many a time on here. For instance, in this thread.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
I've got this Top Gun Blu-ray and I think it's awesome. Movie is awesome and I can still watch it over and over. Also, the only way the movie has a homoerotic theme is if you make it that way in your own mind. This topic has been discussed a many a time on here. For instance, in this thread.
Well, on the other hand one could say that the only way it is NOT homoerotic is if you block that out and make it that way in your mind.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
Well, on the other hand one could say that the only way it is NOT homoerotic is if you block that out and make it that way in your mind.
But the characters in the movie were not gay. Maverick had a sex scene with a female. Goose had a wife and a kid. Iceman was with a chick in the bar scene and in the scene at the end when he was receiving his Top Gun award (I think). Iceman's infatuation with Maverick had only to do with piloting skills. I can see how someone can say the movie is homo erotic but it's all mental. The actual characters in the movie are hetero.