Extremely disappointed with Stargate - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-14-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Extremely disappointed with Stargate

I have no idea how this site gives Stargate a 4/5 in PQ. IMO the picture quality was very poor.

"Grain is present and more noticeable during some dark scenes, but it makes the transfer look film-like and I didn't find it excessive or distracting."

I Found the grain to be EXTREMELY excessive and distracting throughout the entire movie.

I agree the outdoor shots look great. But pretty much every night shot or inside shot was just completely saturated with distracting and flickering grain. One of the worst HD movies I've seen yet as far as PQ goes.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Agrees!!

Yes, poor movie. Lionsgate low priced crap. I also did not like the fact that the subtitles did not work for the alien talk. Either you had the subtitles all on or nothing. I own a few Lionsgate cheap blu-ray movies (19.99 at wal-mart in Canada) and they all look only slightly better than DVD.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

OMG, not another one... Next we'll have someone screaming about how bad XXX is or something.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
OMG, not another one... Next we'll have someone screaming about how bad XXX is or something.
Difference is this movie got 4/5 in PQ on this site will xxx 2/5. I found stargate to be <= xxx as far as PQ goes.

If you aren't going to contribute ANYTHING to the thread why post? Act like an adult plz.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 PM

I have bought many versions of Stargate and the BD version is by far the best of them. Is it inconsistant ? Definatly. Are most parts a huge improvement ? Yes, very much so. The added footage looks poor to be sure but I am still glad that it is included in the movie and not just as deleted scenes. This movie will probably not look much better in the future without a seroius effort to clean it up. It is up to the studio whether or not they want to do that or not. I imagine that it will get some type of re-release in the future as this is one that gets released over and over. Lets just hope that they do a good restore before the next release.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
I have bought many versions of Stargate and the BD version is by far the best of them. Is it inconsistant ? Definatly. Are most parts a huge improvement ? Yes, very much so. The added footage looks poor to be sure but I am still glad that it is included in the movie and not just as deleted scenes. This movie will probably not look much better in the future without a seroius effort to clean it up. It is up to the studio whether or not they want to do that or not. I imagine that it will get some type of re-release in the future as this is one that gets released over and over. Lets just hope that they do a good restore before the next release.
obviously, its blu-ray it has to be the best of them
Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 PM

It's too bad they don't work hard at remastering everything before releasing them in the new formats.
Look what they did to Fifth Element when they were forced to.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:24 PM

PQ was the worst i have seen on ANY high def disc. house of flying daggers was LIGHTYEARS better. i have never seen so much grain in my life. Add to it, the subtitles for when ra and the "egyptians" were speaking didn't show up on my PS3 unless i turned english subtitles on... in which case, subtitles appeared for ALL the dialog. Stargate was - by far - the worst high def experience I have ever had.... I watched solaris on DVD the same night and the PQ for that was INFINATELY better than stargate. That movie was the BEST dvd transfer I have ever seen. No reason to buy it in high def when it comes out as it can't possibly be noticably better.

I definitely won't be trusting Peter Bracke's reviews anymore... He couldn't even get the rating right for the disc - its listed as being R. I'm definitely glad i rented this instead of buying. Thankyou blockbuster!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 PM

i totally agree that lionsgate is an idiot with this release. Do they not have a QA department?

1. it looks like S***. ugliest blu-ray I own. This is definitely not something to be proud of from HD.
2. i had to put a piece of paper inside my case to remind me to choose subtitle option 3 for playback.

wtf were they thinking? The default is no sub, next is full sub, next is ancient language only english sub.
Is there a country that understands ancient language? And their subtitle menu doesn't even have option 3. only yes or no to english sub. Friggin idiots
Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 AM

Yep, I think it's widley known to be one of the worst PQ BD disks out there - but the AQ was excellent.