Which sequals of the Final Destination seris are worth owning? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Default Which sequals of the Final Destination seris are worth owning?

I have the first, which I thought was pretty cool. Anything good after that?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:59 PM

Maybe the second one. They seemed to abandon the original concept after that.I was disappointed at their laziness.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post
I have the first, which I thought was pretty cool. Anything good after that?
I disagree with CaptainCanuck. All the Final Destination sequels are worth owning. If you enjoyed the formula of the first movie, then you will not be disappointed in any of the films.

That being said, they all are to varying degrees of quality:

Final Destination 2 has the BEST OPENING SEQUENCE in the entire franchise. It's worth watching just for that. However, I felt the movie didn't play it straight, and it comes off more as a comedy than straight horror. It's still an absolute riot though, as long as you're expecting to laugh...

Final Destination 3 is my favorite in the series. It has one of my favorite actresses, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, in the title role, and the film really plays on the fear of roller coasters. Roller Coasters scare the bejeezus out of me, so the opening sequence in this film is my favorite. The middle of the movie plays it a bit serious like part 1 and a bit silly like part 2...and then the ending is the best surprise ending, besides what happens in the closing shots of the first film. I'd say this film has the best balance of what the Final Destination series offers.

Final Destination 4 is your typical 3-D film. The special fx really take a dive because of that, and the relatively low budget. It's also more comedic, like part 2. It's my least favorite in the series, but its still worth a watch.

Overall, they're all worth picking up at a budget price, if you liked the gimmick of the first film. After four entries in the series, the quality has remained more consistent than most horror franchises.

I haven't seen Part 5, but I'm definitely looking forward to picking that up when it arrives on Blu-Ray.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Sheesha, thanks for asking a question that's been on my mind for a while now.

Cooltobeyou, thanks for (thoroughly)answering a question that's been on my mind for a while now.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus81 View Post

Cooltobeyou, thanks for (thoroughly)answering a question that's been on my mind for a while now.
You're welcome. Hopefully, my assessment of these movies will help you guys decide if you should buy them or not.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Oh, and BTW, Final Destination 3 has some horrible cover art. I know a lot of people who have refused to watch the movie because of the cover art. IMO, the movie itself, is a lot better than the cover would lead you to believe.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Former Member

Part 3 is utter garbage. one of the worst films i've ever seen. not exaggerating. it's just painfully stupid, contrived, and ridiculous. it is the series low. deaths are insanely stupid, and the picture idea, so lame.

everyone hates on 4. i think it has a few small interesting spots, but again, small. the x-ray opening is fucking cool as hell. the rest, overall, a big meh.

haven't seen 5. will wait for home video blu-ray 3d release.

part 2...it's where the formula first goes wrong. they start trying to cheat death with these stupid ideas and rules. here's a rule for you: shut up and die, death fodder actors.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
Part 3 is utter garbage. one of the worst films i've ever seen. not exaggerating. it's just painfully stupid, contrived, and ridiculous. it is the series low. deaths are insanely stupid, and the picture idea, so lame.

everyone hates on 4. i think it has a few small interesting spots, but again, small. the x-ray opening is fucking cool as hell. the rest, overall, a big meh.

haven't seen 5. will wait for home video blu-ray 3d release.

part 2...it's where the formula first goes wrong. they start trying to cheat death with these stupid ideas and rules. here's a rule for you: shut up and die, death fodder actors.
Sad to see the hate for part 3! I think its a very satisfying entry in the, "let's watch all these stupid teenagers die, in increasingly absurd manners" genre. I gotta admit that there are some silly parts, but the opening and closing of the movie is superbly entertaining, and I liked the characters a lot more than the characters in parts 2 and 4.

All opinions though....so it's all good

EDIT: Also Nate, where are you getting the argument from that
Spoiler
Part 2 is where they first start to change the rules and try to cheat death? I thought that was pretty much the formula since the first movie. Clear Rivers and Alex work throughout the whole movie, to find out what order death is going to strike in, and they try to cheat death in the first movie, by trying to make it skip their turn.

Clear Rivers, Alex, and "Dawson's Creek Boy", think that death has skipped them in the first movie. They think they've cheated it, and that is why the "surprise ending" in Paris is so damn effective!

Parts 2 and 3 only really continue the idea of these characters trying to make death skip them. The only thing that derails parts 2 and 3 is that a lot of it is played for humor.

So, I'm just curious, what bullshit rules are you saying they made up in Part 2?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Former Member

they try to figure out the pattern in part 1. they try to avoid it. they think they cheated it. they were proven wrong.

in parts 2 and 3, they come up with the most insane fucking excuses to comfort themselves, and do stupid things to try to get said wild ass ideas to come true.

your number is almost up, your friends are dying around you. GO TO A BROTHEL. jeezus. you might autoerotically asphyxiate. so long as you're pitching, you're not likely to hemorrhage and die from that. live like a king.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
I disagree with CaptainCanuck. All the Final Destination sequels are worth owning. If you enjoyed the formula of the first movie, then you will not be disappointed in any of the films.

That being said, they all are to varying degrees of quality:

Final Destination 2 has the BEST OPENING SEQUENCE in the entire franchise. It's worth watching just for that. However, I felt the movie didn't play it straight, and it comes off more as a comedy than straight horror. It's still an absolute riot though, as long as you're expecting to laugh...

Final Destination 3 is my favorite in the series. It has one of my favorite actresses, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, in the title role, and the film really plays on the fear of roller coasters. Roller Coasters scare the bejeezus out of me, so the opening sequence in this film is my favorite. The middle of the movie plays it a bit serious like part 1 and a bit silly like part 2...and then the ending is the best surprise ending, besides what happens in the closing shots of the first film. I'd say this film has the best balance of what the Final Destination series offers.

Final Destination 4 is your typical 3-D film. The special fx really take a dive because of that, and the relatively low budget. It's also more comedic, like part 2. It's my least favorite in the series, but its still worth a watch.

Overall, they're all worth picking up at a budget price, if you liked the gimmick of the first film. After four entries in the series, the quality has remained more consistent than most horror franchises.

I haven't seen Part 5, but I'm definitely looking forward to picking that up when it arrives on Blu-Ray.
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it.