'Stargate Atlantis: The Compete Series' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 PM

Default 'Stargate Atlantis: The Compete Series' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Stargate Atlantis: The Compete Series.' He says this set has good video, very nice audio, and TONS and TONNNNNS of extras. This is for fans, but worth a look for those with a nice chunk of change to drop on the complete set.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5067..._complete.html
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM

I'd love to own it, but to be honest with myself, I'd probably never watch the whole thing again unless I hadn't seen it already.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 PM

Default Why the concern about the price?

I'm not sure why there seems to be so much concern about the price. At $114.99 it is $21 more expensive than the complete series on DVD but only $8.86 more than the $106.13 cost of the individual seasons on DVD.

Even the $21 difference isn't really out of line for the improved video and audio quality of Blu-ray over DVD. It may seem a bit much buying it all 5 seaons at once, but I'm pretty sure I paid a fair bit more than that for the individual series when I bought them, the first 3 all at once and the last two seasons as they came out.

These things need to be taken in context and on that basis I don't think the price is unfair at all. Heck, look at it this way - each Blu-ray disc cost an enormous $5.75!

:-)

LewK
Old 08-26-2011, 12:20 AM

Why Atlantis and not SG1?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Why Atlantis and not SG1?
Its simple really: "Atlantis" was produced in HD from day one. "SG-1" was not.

The earliest seasons of the "SG-1" series were shot on film, but post-produced in standard definition.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:17 AM

Godstar, your Yahtzee quote almost runined my comuter screen...I nearly shot coffee out of my nose!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewK View Post
I'm not sure why there seems to be so much concern about the price. At $114.99 it is $21 more expensive than the complete series on DVD but only $8.86 more than the $106.13 cost of the individual seasons on DVD.

Even the $21 difference isn't really out of line for the improved video and audio quality of Blu-ray over DVD. It may seem a bit much buying it all 5 seaons at once, but I'm pretty sure I paid a fair bit more than that for the individual series when I bought them, the first 3 all at once and the last two seasons as they came out.

These things need to be taken in context and on that basis I don't think the price is unfair at all. Heck, look at it this way - each Blu-ray disc cost an enormous $5.75!

:-)

LewK
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't understand why the reviewer was hammering on the price so much. Season 7 of 24 on Blu-Ray is currently going for $43.99 on Amazon.com. The complete Rome series is $79.99 for just 22 episodes compared to the 100 in this set.

Yes, the price is a big pill to swallow all at once, but it's quite reasonable given the contents.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Its simple really: "Atlantis" was produced in HD from day one. "SG-1" was not.

The earliest seasons of the "SG-1" series were shot on film, but post-produced in standard definition.
Not only were they shot on film, but it was only 16mm. Watch the DVDs of some of the earlier shows and you'll see a ton of noise in the dark scenes. And there were a LOT of dark scenes. :-} It would be pretty expensive to clean them up enough for there to be a real benefit to Blu-ray. I don't know that the soundtracks were recorded in full 5.1 surround the first few years either.

I'm not certain when they started filming SG1 in hi-def, but probably a year or so before Atlantis started up, so only the last 3 or 4 years were shot hi-def.

The technology has changed so fast it can be hard to realize what they were dealing with just 15 years ago. :-}

LewK
Old 08-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't understand why the reviewer was hammering on the price so much. Season 7 of 24 on Blu-Ray is currently going for $43.99 on Amazon.com. The complete Rome series is $79.99 for just 22 episodes compared to the 100 in this set.

Yes, the price is a big pill to swallow all at once, but it's quite reasonable given the contents.
It's about 4000 hours of content (and that's just the episodes). So compared to say a 2 hour movie that costs $15-20, you definitely are getting a lot more value here. On the other hand, for someone who only is able to put down the cash for a couple movies per month, the much higher initial price can make it less appealing from that perspective.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 PM

SGA is one of my favorite series. I'll pick it up when I have a job.