FUNimation Picks Blu-Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 PM

Default FUNimation Picks Blu-Ray

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/804/804901p1.html

IGN INFO:

"

The folks at FUNimation Entertainment are far more forthcoming than some of their competitors when it comes to their plans for high-def. For starters, they have acknowledged to IGN that they have in fact chosen to go with the Blu-ray format when they do start releasing titles.

"At this point, we are in the Blu-ray camp. We started researching this about a year-and-a-half ago, actually," explains Ward Thomas, Senior VP of Sales and Operations at FUNimation. "We feel that the fanbase and our customers are very much trailblazers on the technology side, so it's something we wanted to get involved in right away. We really felt that the introduction of the PlayStation 3 last year was kind of a foray for our customers and fans to at least get into the next-gen platforms."

Blockbuster Video's recent announcement that it's siding with the Blu-ray format certainly won't hurt FUNimation's plans either.

"We do a nice business with Blockbuster," says Thomas. "I'll be honest with you. From a retail perspective, Blockbuster is probably pretty much the only place we do a retail business with right now. From an online perspective, obviously we're in business with Netflix and we have a wonderful business with them as well. Most of our rental business is with Blockbuster. Their announcement was just kind of gravy for us since that was the direction we were headed anyway."

Thomas says that the decision did not come lightly to choose Blu-ray over HD DVD. But after much research and exploring of both formats, FUNimation found that the interactive aspects of Blu-ray were much more appealing.

"Some of the demonstrations that we've seen, and just in talking to the different people [developing the format], the long-term interactive scope of Blu-ray just seems to be so much more endearing to at least the fans of the FUNimation content. I just think long-term what we're going to be able to do on a Blu-ray disc from the interactive programming perspective is really intriguing and it opens up a lot of new windows for us. So it was really the direction we wanted to head."

The company isn't quite ready to release any specific information regarding what titles they might launch first on Blu-ray or when we might see them (though they are willing to say that in all likelihood product will hit by the end of the year). But they do hint that an announcement is coming very soon and that "Comic-Con is coming up and all." In other words, stay tuned to IGN for more specifics about FUNimation's Blu-ray lineup in the coming weeks!
"
Old 07-13-2007, 11:28 PM

Can't say I'm too excited about the prospects of Pokemon in HD.

Would love to get Blue Gender, though I doubt it was ever produced in High Definition. It's also a 4:3 show, which makes it unlikely to be their focus.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Can't say I'm too excited about the prospects of Pokemon in HD.

Would love to get Blue Gender, though I doubt it was ever produced in High Definition. It's also a 4:3 show, which makes it unlikely to be their focus.

Anime which FUNimation has licensed: Some real good titles

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...pany.php?id=13

I can't wait for Samurai 7,Full Metal Alchemist etc.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:06 AM

I see some titles on that list that I'm interested in, but this one caught my attention:
"SHINOBI - Heart Under Blade"

Great movie and one that is HD-DVD only in Japan. I would buy it without a doubt on BD. And if they really have the license for that movie, I bet that it is one of the first titles they would release.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:09 AM

Fullmetal and omg, umm Bebop. Drool
Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 AM

I would kind of like to see FUNimation's Afro Samurai in high def, but I wonder if it would look any better than the DVD?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Keep in mind that it was only recently that much anime was produced in High Definition. Shows more than a few years old (Cowboy Bebop, etc.) may only exist in SD.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Keep in mind that it was only recently that much anime was produced in High Definition. Shows more than a few years old (Cowboy Bebop, etc.) may only exist in SD.
Do you think that anime will benefit from HighDef, considering the low amount of detail and color that some anime movies have (Afro Samurai for example)?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxx View Post
Do you think that anime will benefit from HighDef, considering the low amount of detail and color that some anime movies have (Afro Samurai for example)?
Animation, especially computer animation with clean lines and minimal detail, does tend to upscale pretty well. So the difference may not be dramatic, but if the show was produced in HD I think there will be some benefit.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
Anime which FUNimation has licensed: Some real good titles

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...pany.php?id=13

I can't wait for Samurai 7,Full Metal Alchemist etc.
OMG!! I love FUNimation animes! Esp. Full Metal Alchemist, Tenchi Muyo, Robotech and DBZ!

This is awesome!!