'Dexter: The Complete Fifth Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Default 'Dexter: The Complete Fifth Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'Dexter: The Complete Fifth Season.' He says this show is still the best thing on TV. This Blu-ray set is fantastic. What it lacks in extras it makes up for in top notch video and audio. Highly Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4034/dexter_s5.html
Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 PM

Is anyone else having major issue getting this set to run on ther player? I'm using a Sony BDP-BX1 with updated firmware, and the Dexter season 5 blu ray doesn't load while all of the other discs I've tried has.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 PM

Currently on Episode 5 of this season so I can't read your review quite yet Nate. Really glad to see it with 5 stars though, I'm liking this season a lot so far. I'll give the full review a read as soon as I'm done watching.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Former Member

holler when you're done!

and... 4.5 stars. no 5 star score here. i kinda regret not giving season 4 a perfect score when i did it for another publication a year ago, going with a 9/10. it was my first season with the show, and that month i sat through 1-3, and realized, fuck, i went too low on season 4. if i could turn back time...then i'd be a cher song.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:40 AM

I felt that Season 5 was the worst of the series so far!

Since the first near-perfect season (still one of my favourite ever seasons of any TV show), they just got progressively worse. Season's 2 - 4 would just be a shadow of the previous season, but each did have a specific moment where I knew that I was hooked again and eager for the next episode.

Season 5, on the other hand, just disappointed with every episode, and almost felt like it jumped the shark a tad early. The whole idea of the young Padawan, Lumen, just didn't gel with me.

I am glad everybody else is liking the season, since it means we may have a chance of redemption with season 6... but I can't say my hopes are that high. What other series' actually get BETTER as they go along?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Great show, but this was the worst season yet. As much as I love Robocop, he seemed to be in this season for the sole purpose of annoying me. Not to mention the fact that nothing really happened for entire episodes at a time. At first I thought maybe I was just getting tired of Dexter or was in the wrong mindset for the show, but then I rewatched season one and it was so awesome it was even better than I remembered it. In contrast season five seems almost like a different show altogether, it pales in comparison.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
I felt that Season 5 was the worst of the series so far!

Since the first near-perfect season (still one of my favourite ever seasons of any TV show), they just got progressively worse. Season's 2 - 4 would just be a shadow of the previous season, but each did have a specific moment where I knew that I was hooked again and eager for the next episode.

Season 5, on the other hand, just disappointed with every episode, and almost felt like it jumped the shark a tad early. The whole idea of the young Padawan, Lumen, just didn't gel with me.

I am glad everybody else is liking the season, since it means we may have a chance of redemption with season 6... but I can't say my hopes are that high. What other series' actually get BETTER as they go along?

IMO It's managed to get better with each passing year, more or less, without jumping the shark.

It's one of the best shows on TV right now, along with Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire...
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 AM

i thought it was an ok season overall, but nothing can top season 4, lithgow was a beast
Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
Really glad to see it with 5 stars though
Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
4.5 stars. no 5 star score here. i kinda regret not giving season 4 a perfect score
I stand corrected. And yea, if there was ever a season of Dexter that deserved a perfect score, it was definitely Season 4. Lithgow was an awesome
Spoiler
serial killer and a really good match for Dexter.

Last edited by cardpetree; 08-24-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment that it seems like there is something "off" with this season, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I definitely don't think this is the worst season of Dexter. Instead, the show just seems to have entire seasons that really peak climactically, and then entire Seasons where they have to bring the story lines down to earth again, in order to make following seasons even more exciting. If you're on a constant high point, then NOTHING will register as particularly exciting. It's just excellent writing, is what it is.

I break the seasons down as follows:

Season 1 = Gradual Buildup
Season 2 = Insanely Climactic due to the build up in Season 1
Season 3 = Some falling action, because you have to come down off the high of Season 2
Season 4 = Same as Season 2....insanely climactic due to the lull in Season 3.
Season 5 = Let's come down off the high of Season 4 now, and build stuff back up.

Season 6 will probably be freaking insane like Seasons 2 and 4.