'Priest - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Default 'Priest - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

E has just reviewed 'Priest - 3D.' Check out his review to see how it compares to the 2D Blu-ray.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5127/priest3d.html
Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM

This movie for me has one of the best 3d conversions I've seen. The movie is dark which for 3d generally is bad but even in the dark hive scenes I could make out depth well. The city of jericho is one of the best live action 3d I think I've ever seen. The movie on the other hand isn't the best and I agree a rental, but if you are itching for a new 3d movie this one isn't too bad a purchase for $24.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 PM

I agree the Jericho scenes were incredible to look at with amazing depth. But for me, the hives scenes and the hundreds other dark scenes were somewhat disappointing with only a bit of dimensionality.

But as you pointed out, the price isn't bad for what you get.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Former Member

i think it's lame sony did away with the clear cover art layered with the insert, using a slipcover (a non lenticular one at that!) instead.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:09 PM

I rented this one, which was exactly the thing to do. Good 3D effects for the most part, but movie itself is pure crap, and I went in really wanting to like it.

Spoiler
The straw that broke my suspension of disbelief(a requirement of the genre anyway) was when Maggie Q does a head on collision with a train probably moving 75mph with a motorcycle doing 190+(shows us the speedometer). Said motorcycle is loaded with 10lbs of dynomite, causing a massive explosion and derailment. But hey, she dove off the bike .5 seconds before impact(at 190mph), so she was fine, just a minor cut on the forhead.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
i think it's lame sony did away with the clear cover art layered with the insert, using a slipcover (a non lenticular one at that!) instead.
I notice that too, the store I bought it from had a sticker over the blu-ray 3d logo. So I didn't know at first if I was looking at the 3d blu-ray or 2d version. The 3d style cover art they've had before was noticeable and cool too, maybe they'll bring it back for the next movie.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
I rented this one, which was exactly the thing to do. Good 3D effects for the most part, but movie itself is pure crap, and I went in really wanting to like it.

Spoiler
The straw that broke my suspension of disbelief(a requirement of the genre anyway) was when Maggie Q does a head on collision with a train probably moving 75mph with a motorcycle doing 190+(shows us the speedometer). Said motorcycle is loaded with 10lbs of dynomite, causing a massive explosion and derailment. But hey, she dove off the bike .5 seconds before impact(at 190mph), so she was fine, just a minor cut on the forhead.
yes I do agree with your point, but you got a movie about vampires vs human priest. The priest themselves are ordinary regular humans that are trained to fight vampires. With that said they seem to have super human abilities. the movie is setup far beyond reality that by the end of the movie even the most outrageous unbelievable stunt doesn't matter much. Its a sit back and watch movie, you can't go in thinking logic or reality.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:18 PM

I haven't seen Legion so I think that helped my viewing of this movie...which I liked. The 3D didn't hurt either. I've been looking for some good 3D content for my home theater and Priest didn't disappoint. A lot of fun 3D moments to be had for sure. Had I not seen it in 3D, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. But a fun action ride nonetheless.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
I haven't seen Legion so I think that helped my viewing of this movie...which I liked. The 3D didn't hurt either. I've been looking for some good 3D content for my home theater and Priest didn't disappoint. A lot of fun 3D moments to be had for sure. Had I not seen it in 3D, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. But a fun action ride nonetheless.
Spoiler
I get suspension of disbelief and all that, lord knows I can turn it on. But that was too much, especially at the expense of the movie. She could have died and made a meaningful sacrifice, but they chose to preserve her for potential sequels lol. Oh also, did I miss something, why does the human city exist under a cloud of darkness making it look eternally like night time? You'd think they would move slightly in any direction since the sun is their primary salvation/weapon against vampires.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Spoiler
I get suspension of disbelief and all that, lord knows I can turn it on. But that was too much, especially at the expense of the movie. She could have died and made a meaningful sacrifice, but they chose to preserve her for potential sequels lol. Oh also, did I miss something, why does the human city exist under a cloud of darkness making it look eternally like night time? You'd think they would move slightly in any direction since the sun is their primary salvation/weapon against vampires.
Those are some good points Plissken and I can't argue with you. Also the scene with the "rock steps" is pretty far fetched. I didn't let those moments ruin the movie for me though. It was just fun popcorn fare.