'Be Cool' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Default 'Be Cool' - High-Def Digest Review

Not cool. Not cool at all! Aaron says everything you liked about 'Get Shorty' has gone missing in 'Be Cool.' This is bad. This Blu-ray features OK video and audio, and annoying extras. One to avoid.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5121/be_cool.html
Old 08-18-2011, 01:02 PM

I didn't think it was that bad, but it certainly was no Get Shorty.

The Rock's character was hilarious, some of the parts of Cedric and his gang were hilarious, but the movie as a whole was a mess.

What pissed me off the most is the very first scene with Travolta driving with James Woods, and he says "You know, you can say 'the F-word' one time in a PG-13 movie? After that it's rated R. You know what I say? Fuck that!"

You think, cool, they are thumbing their nose at the ratings board, this is going to be like Get Shorty... and then it's a fucking PG-13 movie. I don't have a problem with PG-13 movies, but when they are clearly supposed to be R-rated it drives me nucking futs.

For a long time there seemed to be this push for all movies to be PG-13 to appeal to the biggest audience, and it totally fucked over a lot of movies: Fanboys, Die Hard 4, this one, and many others were all compromised pieces of shit, and it's largely because they were working with those arbitrary limitations. I'm glad R-rated movies are back in a big way.

Bruce Willis not saying "fuck" in a Die Hard movie is just stupid.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM

I thought that Vince Vaughn was pretty funny - "Twinkle, twinkle, baby.. twinkle, twinkle!", but the Rock's was absolutely hilarious (the music video was classic). Again, the Rock shows that he has superior comedic talents than his action star predecessors. Also, he doesn't take himself too seriously (also, see "The Rundown"). Too bad he doesn't do more quality (read: non-Disney/family) films.

But, yeah, this movie isn't that great - especially compared with Get Shorty. In the movie's defense (somewhat), though, I remember reading the book and it being a mess, too.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM

I think this would have been a much better movie if it just focused on the Rock's character, actually it would probably have made a great comedy skit. This movie overall is very craptacular!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 PM

I didn't think much of Get Shorty in the first place, and this one was exponentially worse.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Former Member

i'm not big on either film in the series. i hate the chili palmer character. however, LOVED the rock in Be Cool. only good thing about the film.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
i'm not big on either film in the series. i hate the chili palmer character. however, LOVED the rock in Be Cool. only good thing about the film.
And Andre 3000!

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:25 AM

The Rock was the only redeeming thing about this film. He was a classic in it. Everything else though was like eating broken glass. Horrific.