'Priest' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Default 'Priest' - High-Def Digest Review

From director Scott Stewart, 'Priest' is the forgettable sci-fi fantasy about an alternate human history filled with ravenous vampires and superhero priests. Paul Bettany stars in the convoluted, out-of-this-world reimagining of John Ford's 'The Searchers,' and the end product is a sadly misguided soul quest that runs as blindly rampant as the monstrous bloodsuckers it tries to portray. The Blu-ray, on the other hand, delivers a strong video and audio presentation, minus a few negligible quips. Combined supplements are entertaining and worth a watch for fans, but the overall package only makes for a good rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5126/priest.html
Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Really wanted this to be a good movie but all the reviews are trashing it
Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Lucky for me I saw it because reading any reviews. My two thoughts after.....refreshing not dealing with Twilight vampires and I hope there's a sequel. Also, I liked Maggie Q better here than her TV show.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Enois Duarte
The dispirited, funereal photography of Don Burgess, who also worked on such features as 'Cast Away,' 'Enchanted,' and 'The Book of Eli,.' Then again, he was also involved with such disasters as 'Richie Rich,' 'Christmas with the Kranks' and 'My Super Ex-Girlfriend.'
I always loved Richie Rich. Nostalgia? Maybe, but to this day, I thoroughly enjoy it upon repeat viewing. I only own the crappy pan&scan VHS (never bothered with the DVD, since it only contained the trailer as a special feature -- which I don't consider to be an improvement over the extra-less VHS), but I hope to one day own the Blu-ray with Culkin and Laroquette commentary. One can hope.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM

Was considering getting this on 3D blu ray just because it is actually a decent price. Looks like I will be passing.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 AM

This is one of those movies that I enjoy more and more with repeat viewings, I love post apocalyptic type films and the mix of Scifi with Western and the world pretty much destroyed was an amazing settings, the idea that Vampires are their own full race separate entirely from humans is pretty cool IMO, I do agree that familiars really didnt make much sense but hey, people join all kinds of things for unknown reasons, Karl Urban was easily the best part of this movie and his character is what will make me come back again to this underrated B movie gem, scene chewing like crazy, he just brings a lot of fun to the film.

I could have done with a little longer of a film, nothing was really gone into about the Queen or much else really, it was a really simple straight forward story and these movies always benefit from more character development and world to delve into, instead they decided on a quick 90 minute action movie and thats alright with me, yeah I've seen better, but I'm happy a Vampire movie comes out with some style and not some ***** story about sparkling douche bags
Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
If you already have a curiosity or interest, you should give it a shot -- a rent at least. Like a couple of other posters, you never know. You may end up liking it better than me.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 08-18-2011, 01:47 AM

It's too bad, the manwah is pretty good. I really wanted to see this movie because of Karl Urban's character, but no thanks.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Saw this last night. I don't think it's a bad movie, nor do I think it's a good one. It's an average action movie with bits of horror and sci-fi thrown in. The only thing that made me facepalm was when

Spoiler
Maggie throws those 2 rocks for Paul to step on in mid air. They also repeated the "If you go against the church, you go against God" line far too many times. Someone should have caught that in editing and taken at least 2 of them out.

With a lesser cast, I can see giving this one a low rating, but IMO the actors elevate it into the "average" range.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM

This was a horrible film.