'The Makioka Sisters' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-11-2011, 04:41 PM

Default 'The Makioka Sisters' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed the Criterion release of 'The Makioka Sisters.' Safe to say this film probably isn't for everyone, but many of you will probably love it. This Blu-ray features solid video, weak audio, and NO extras. Worth a look for the curious.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4883/m_sisters.html
Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Great review, that actually help me out to sort my thoughts about this film. Have not watched it yet, I had a hard time picking it up at the last sale (It was this or Solaris and I was definitely more inclined for the later, not saying this is a lesser film but the second one got me more curious) and sadly didn't picked it up. I don't think the review of this disc should state a lower "rating" based on the lack of extras. Criterion probably couldn't get their hands on the rights for them so they priced it cheaper (Which actually should be reflected in the score). The underwhelming sound is a bit dissapointing but to be honest it is in no way a deal breaker. Image is a lot more important to me when it comes to Criterion's BDs which are commonly amazing. Will get this film the next sale.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Former Member

the extras score can only reflect what's there, and i really get mad at reviewers who give like 5 points out of 10 to a 10 minute extra, so i don't do that. the finale of the review does acknowledge the lower MSRP as a major purchasing factor, one that, along with a good sale, makes this a hella cheap release. it would have earned a recommended tag, extras be damned, if the audio didn't bug me.

i appreciate the kind words. honestly, if you were to ask me if i could buy this for 13.50 or solaris for 18, i'd still hands down buy solaris, so i mean, you didn't make what i'd call a bad choice! with the low price (one that should have also been on a few other criterion titles, such as Bottle Rocket), really, it's a low risk title.

this is a step in the right direction, though. we need some more 29.99 list criterion blu-rays. titles that are 29.99 on DVD shouldn't be 39.99 on blu-ray when 39.99 titles aren't also bumped up (ahem, 400 Blows).