'Top Gear: The Complete Season 16' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Default 'Top Gear: The Complete Season 16' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven Cohen has reviewed 'Top Gear: The Complete Season 16.' He says this is an entertaining show, even if you aren't into cars. This Blu-ray set features uneven video and rather basic audio. Supplements are a little thin. Overall, it's worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5450/top_gear_16.html
Old 08-10-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
What really makes 'Top Gear' work is the chemistry between its talented hosts. The trio plays off each other perfectly, often engaging in brotherly jabs, insults, ribbing, and competition.
I can't speak for Season 16 as I am catching up and only at Season 5, but James May seems to get very little screen time and has very little chemistry with the other hosts.

Even in the public transportation vs car contents where May and Hammond are teamed together against Clarkson, it feels more like Hammond vs. Clarkson with May tagging along for the ride.

I don't dislike May--if anything his personality is most like mine. I just don't see the chemistry there that the reviewer has mentioned. Maybe it has developed by the time Season 16 comes around.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Maybe it has developed by the time Season 16 comes around.
This.

Their chemistry definitely improves in the later "seasons". You're only on series 5? That's quite early in the TG lifecycle. The later specials - "Polar" (series 9), "Botswana" (series 10), "Vietnam" (series 12), and "Bolivia" (series 14), which are among the best eps of TG ever - really show how well (or not) the troublesome trio functions as a unit.

Question: how are you watching the show? A mix of BBC America, iTunes, and Netflix... or through alternative means (i.e. FinalGear)?

Last edited by Super-VHS; 08-10-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:33 PM

I fucking love this show, but there's simply too much of it out there for me to start buying the BDs, since I'm an OCD completionist nutjob who needs to own everything in a series or trilogy or set. This is why I will eventually buy XMen The Last Stand and Origins, and the second and third Matrix movies. I don't even like them!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 PM

But, XL, there's no continuity between "seasons" (unlike "Stand" and the shitty 2nd and 3rd "Matrix" movies, or most other TV shows), so...

Also note: the earlier series' (1-13; excluding the Polar special) were shot in SD widescreen. Blu-ray would make no difference for the back catalog, which is forever limited to sub-HD resolution.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Oh man, try explaining that to my compulsive nature. I know on an intellectual level that I don't need to own it all for continuity's sake, but if I see that something is Series 16 I am going to damn well do what I can to find 1-15 as well.

You know, I may just pick this up anyway. I love the show and you're right about continuity, it's just a question of forcing myself to forget about completionism for once. Haha.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 AM

I'm with the reviewer... I couldn't care less about car programs normally, but Top Gear and its trio just make for a surprisingly entertaining show. It's funny, as well, to read non-uk views on the show. I'm glad a lot of you guys are enjoying it! Over here, Clarkson especially, is viewed as a love-him-or-hate-him personality, mainly because he's outspoken, not politically correct, says what he thinks and doesn't mind rubbing people up the wrong way. It's a refreshing change from the touchy-feely "we can't risk offending anyone" style that swamps most stuff over here. :tongue:
Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
I'm with the reviewer... I couldn't care less about car programs normally, but Top Gear and its trio just make for a surprisingly entertaining show. It's funny, as well, to read non-uk views on the show. I'm glad a lot of you guys are enjoying it! Over here, Clarkson especially, is viewed as a love-him-or-hate-him personality, mainly because he's outspoken, not politically correct, says what he thinks and doesn't mind rubbing people up the wrong way. It's a refreshing change from the touchy-feely "we can't risk offending anyone" style that swamps most stuff over here. :tongue:
Yeah, you'd be surprised at how popular the UK Top Gear is here. British humor has been gaining an increasing foothold in recent years as people become exposed to more diverse things as a result of globalization. If it weren't for the internet, I would likely never have heard of Spaced, Black Books, The IT Crowd, Garth Merenghi, etc. I'm very glad that I have.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Such a great show... the last couple seasons released on BD (14 & 15) were great. And, unfortunately, the only way for me to see the show in HD (at least, legitimately). My only complaint (and this problem was on the DVDs, too, and even carries over on BBCA) is that the music is often changed - no doubt due to licensing issues.

Which is more disappointing than anything. If you are able to catch the BBC episodes (*whistles innocently*), you will hear music cues from the Bourne movies, TRON Legacy (Daft Punk), Inception, Indiana Jones movies, etc etc - which is sadly replaced on the DVDs and many times even on BBC America broadcasts (no doubt due to licensing issues).

Too bad they can't include them. Even better, music studios should get with the program and allow music licensed with broadcasts to be included on home releases.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Sweet. I have S14 & S15 only. Probably only seen current season, and random episodes which get repeated. Took me a while to embrace.

Bolivian adventure is definitely my favourite episode especially on Great Adventures 3 blu-ray.

Wonder if the older ones will get a BD treatment, or do I just go DVD shopping.