Birdemic - Shock and Terror mini-review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default Birdemic - Shock and Terror mini-review

Birdemic Mini Review / Spoilers contained (like it matters)

The Movie Itself:

First of all, a quote from the cover synopsis:

Who will survive?

It is a tender love story. A graphic horror shocker. An urgent ecological warning. And around the world, it became the must-see 'midnight movie' sensation of the year: From writer/producer/director/visionary James Nguyen - The Master Of The Romantic Thriller - comes the story of a sexy lingerie model (Whitney Moore) and a successful software salesman (Alan Bagh) on a weekend getaway to a quaint Northern California town.
But when the entire region is attacked by millions of homicidal birds, their picturesque paradise becomes a winged hell on earth. Can mankind now survive the avian onslaught of Birdemic?

Hollywood legend Tippi Hendren of Hitchcock's The Birds makes a Special Appearance in the global cult movie phenomenon that Videogum says "might end up being the greatest film of all time!"

Now, reality...The story is extremely simple, it may have been inspired by a great Hitchcock classic but in no way resembles it! In a nutshell, a software salesman crosses paths with a former high school classmate, suddenly without any leadup dates this person as though he's known her a long time, his company is bought out by a big company and he supposedly makes a bunch of money off stock options and then starts a "green" company. What about the birds? Now, without warning they attack cars and gas stations. The effects are so bad that they look like shrinky-dinks bobbing up and down on a string. There is no hero in this film, the birds in the end just sort of fly away for no reason. There is no national guard mobilization, not once do you see a cop, and as you see our stars constantly under attack by these birds, background traffic seems perfectly normal and unaffected. There's even a scene where these people are being robbed for their gas-can, the birds attack and kill the robber, then our stars drive off, leaving the gas can on the ground, only to run out of gas later in the movie. Oh, and these people are constantly buying water, first gallons, then 24 packs of bottles, and so on. It's impossible to believe they have consumed this much water.
The acting - The stars are not really acting, they're reading lines with very little convincing you that this is an actual movie, it's just plain bad. If they tried to make a The Birds ripoff I would have given it a 1.0 score, but this movie is so bad and so full of holes, I am rating it a 0.5/5.0.

The Video -

Birdemic, for all it matters is presented in 1080P.
Quality is atrocious. This film seriously looks like it was shot in a VHS type format, perhaps ported over to Video-CD and then copied from the VCD to Blu-Ray. Mind you, I am referring to them porting a finished product vcd over to blu-ray, not the vcd master. Compression is harsh, there is very little detail to people's faces. Road signs and signs on the beach that should be quite legible are a blur. Banding and macroblocking is noticeable in some scenes as well, typical of using an old vcd. This one has got a 0.5/5.0 rating. I would love to rate it zero stars but zero would be just staring at a blank screen.

The Audio -

Birdemic contains both DTS 5.1 and 2.0 soundtracks. The audio does not get much better than the video. Where should I begin? ok, let's give you the best part of the movie, the musical score. The only redeeming quality of the movie is the score, it seems relatively clear and unbroken. Although written and presented by pretty much unknowns (Andrew Seger and Damien Carter,) perhaps they are the only talent of the whole film. The rest of the film is just plain bad. The audio editing is so bad there are points where the audio just cuts out completely, even in the middle of conversations.
There is a scene in a diner where the setup must be two cameras, one facing each of the characters, and one of the cameras is picking up a hum, probably tape machine noise pretty badly. I seriously doubt they are using boom-mics above the talent, but rather are using built-in mics on the camcorders. There appears to be no distinct rear sound effects, they appear to be simply porting the fronts to the rears. The sound level itself goes all over the place, I found myself several times having to adjust the volume up or down. I very seriously considered enabling "night mode" on my receiver to equalize the volume levels. This too would have rated 0.5 but because of the score I generously give it a 1.0/5.0

Extras - Digging into the good stuff
A film this horrible and it has all these extras? Holy sh*t, maybe Echo Bridge should take note! I chose to not take advantage of any of the extras, I couldn't wait to eject this disc, but in case you're wondering, they include:
Audio Commentary With Director James Nguyen and Stars Alan Bagh and Whitney Moore
Deleted Scenes
Birdemic Experience Tour Featurette
James Nguyen on Movie Close Up
Moviehead: The James Nguyen Story Teaser
Birdemic Experience 2010 Trailer
Teaser Trailer
Theatrical Trailer
Electronic Press Kit

Final Thoughts / Bottom Line - I'm not even going to say avoid it, that would be too nice, I'm going to say BURN IT, use it as a skeet target, do everyone a favor and pretend it doesn't exist. It's ironic the birds are attacking industry and the causes of global warming. If ever there was a contributor to global warming it would be the waste of petrolium and energy to product this POS. What made me curious about this title was that CBS Sunday Morning states "The Best Worst Movie Of All Time!" After watching this movie, it dawned on me, nobody watches CBS Sunday Morning so they certainly have no credibility to offer! If I could give it a big fat zilch I would, but zilch is nothing. This film is very close to it though. 0.5/5.0

Last edited by Landy; 07-23-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 PM

I've heard this movie snatched the crown from The Room for most hilariously awful movie of all time. Now I want to see it.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM

In the trailer I watched, the chick in her bra is really hot, that's the only reason I would give this 0.5.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM

There is a RiffTrax for it. I recommend watching it with that.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Oh I'm a big fan of MST3K, I've heard the Rifftrax makes the first half of the movie bearable. I may check that out.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM

This is a terrible terrible film that's trying to get by on a so-bad-it's-good vibe.
I've tried twice to watch it all the way though but couldn't make it. Dialogue is awful and so poorly spoken by the 'actors' that in the first 20 minutes you wonder how they got funded.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Former Member

lolz at all the low scores. good effort, nailing this pile of crap.

once i get caught up on other assignments, i'm going to give this one the skewering of a lifetime.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:04 PM

"Why did the eagles & vultures attacked?"

Best quote ever.

I guess James Nguyen, the "visionary" writer-director (no bullshit, the trailer calls him a visionary) rode a van around Sundance with a sign on it that said "Why did the eagles & vultures attacked?"

Why indeed. Whyyyyy indeeeed.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Former Member

they call him the horror-romance master. yeah. sure. he takes any comment and rides it to death. dude made ONE film and he's already the worst director of all time.

don't forget the van with the signs at sundance MISSPELLED the name of the film in the website plug.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:42 PM

You know, I always thought it would be hilarious for HDD to do a "review" where the body just says something like, "Don't bother, this entire movie from beginning to end is bird guano."

And then immediately go on to video, audio, supplements, etc. This one would be perfect for that.