'Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom' and 'Harakiri' are coming October 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Default 'Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom' and 'Harakiri' are coming October 4

Two more Criterion:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4217/salo.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5604/harakiri.html
Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 PM

Damn. Salo was one I bought when Criterion did its first rerelease because I wasn't expecting a Blu version. However, I feel conflicted about spending more money on this movie. Hmmm....
Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 PM

I never got round to picking up the Salo UK release, it was meant to have heavily DNR video, but I was interested to see the Coil music video. Strangely the Coil video doesn't seem to be on the Criterion release...
Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Former Member

Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo

SALO!!!!!

one of Nate Boss's favorite flicks. absolutely adore this one. i can't wait until all the prudes who have never heard of such a flick see a review and freak out so ridiculously at this masterpiece's existence that they were oblivious to for so long. hooray for filth and decadence. hooray for torture and pleasure. hooray for the abuse of power. hooray for Salo.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spader View Post
I never got round to picking up the Salo UK release, it was meant to have heavily DNR video, but I was interested to see the Coil music video. Strangely the Coil video doesn't seem to be on the Criterion release...
i don't think the music video has been released on any Region 1/A area. licensing, rights, so on. it is on the UK import (have it!). it's not amazing, but it's nice to have, a wee bit creepy.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:29 AM

This is a must own since I own the last two Criterion releases on DVD.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo Salo

SALO!!!!!

one of Nate Boss's favorite flicks. absolutely adore this one. i can't wait until all the prudes who have never heard of such a flick see a review and freak out so ridiculously at this masterpiece's existence that they were oblivious to for so long. hooray for filth and decadence. hooray for torture and pleasure. hooray for the abuse of power. hooray for Salo.
hilarious post Nate. i laughed out loud twice. i am definitely looking forward to seeing it, as i first heard of the film when you told me to ask where it was when i prophetically begged the Solaris question.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Former Member

hooray for the fact i'm helping pervert the innocent youth of at least one of our readers by making him want to see this film.

critics of the film, call it shitty all you want. in the end, those of us who love Salo will only agree with big shit eating grins.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 AM

And you know I'm getting this one, right?

Shizzle.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:44 AM

Pasolini's deconstruction of Fascism via some of the most graphic imagery that you will ever see on the screen... At the end of the day, love it or hate it, Salo is a brilliant and provocative film when you bear in mind that Pasolini is basically challenging the viewer with what is depicted on screen. It will be interesting to compare the Criterion release with that from the BFI and to see if Criterion have finally included the 25 second recital sequence which at the moment is exclusive to the BFI version.

I don't recall noticeable DNR on the BFI version - some occasional EE though.