'The Fox and the Hound / The Fox and the Hound II: 30th Anniversary Edition' - Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Default 'The Fox and the Hound / The Fox and the Hound II: 30th Anniversary Edition' - Review

Nate got his hands on an early copy of 'The Fox and the Hound / The Fox and the Hound II: 30th Anniversary Edition' on Blu-ray and we've just posted the review. He says this double feature is pretty well like the title -- with the original movie being the underrated fox and the awful midquel being the hound. Apparently Disney has also made some strange decisions with this release that he hopes isn't the dawning of a new trend. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3255...dthehound.html
Old 07-07-2011, 03:04 PM

So Nate... are you saying you didn't like The Fox and the Hound II?

Spoiler
Hehehehe

Let's hope this practice of putting 2 films on one disc is only restricted to... okay no, it's just bad, even on bad movies. Loss of quality is one thing, but what if you simply want to take your copy of TFATH2 and just burn it? Now you can't!

I hated when DVDs did it, even when it was dual-sided (American Graffiti comes to mind, nobody wants to watch that travesty of a second movie so why force it onto the same disc?) and I really hope it isn't a common practice going forward.

Disney should really know better, since their Pixar Blu-rays are consistently among the best released in every aspect from Movie to PQ/AQ to extras.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Very excited for 'Fox and the Hound', but I don't care at all about Fox and the Hound II'. Second or third-tier Disney title, but it is one of my wife's favorite movies.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 PM

I want the Rescuers!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:38 PM

I very much disagree with the film score for "The Fox and the Hound." It is a classic Disney film IMO, and it's far superior to some of the more highly touted Disney films. I'd really give the film itself 5 stars.

The sequel on the other hand....well....it is what it is. For what it is, it could be far, far, far, worse. I found it to be fairly watchable. Probably nothing I would buy on Blu-Ray, but I will gladly take it packed in with the first movie.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL83 View Post
Let's hope this practice of putting 2 films on one disc is only restricted to... okay no, it's just bad, even on bad movies. Loss of quality is one thing, but what if you simply want to take your copy of TFATH2 and just burn it? Now you can't!
It could be worse, they could force you to buy a useless 3D disc in order to pick up a sequel you actually want...

Wait a minute... Frickin' Lion King 2!

fitprod
Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I want the Rescuers!
Very much so. And 'Robin Hood'!

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
[The sequel is] probably nothing I would buy on Blu-Ray, but I will gladly take it packed in with the first movie.
Quoting myself here...because...oops, I just read the video portion of the review. They're REALLY plopping both of these movies onto a single disc?!? That sucks. I would have much rather had "The Fox and the Hound" on it's own disc, with no copy of The Fox and the Hound 2 then.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Former Member

whoopsie daisie, had the Ex and HD-X text flipped around, lemme go fix 'dat.

cool, i love the original, but i don't consider it top tier disney, and neither does disney (hence no diamond or platinum editions ever on it, just gold, which didn't sell well enough to stay in that group of titles). it is touching, it is important for kids to watch if they can understand the message and meaning, but it's far from 5 star in my eyes. with me, a 3.5 means good, very good possibly, but has issues, problems, just doesn't compare to its peers. i love that it feels like a 1940s, 1950s disney feature. it really has that where no film has since that era, but that isn't enough. still earned a favorable score, not a bad mark, like the midquel pile of garbage.

and yes, 2 films, 1 disc. i keed you not, man. the price is low enough that it doesn't feel like you're being FORCED to buy part 2, but i'd rather have a bd50 film and extras alone, and replace the 2nd movie with a REAL supplement package. THAT would be awesome.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Very much so. And 'Robin Hood'!
very much Robin Hood, even if it means i have to watch a bunch of furries. LOVE that iteration.