'The Lincoln Lawyer' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 PM

Default 'The Lincoln Lawyer' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Lincoln Lawyer' has just been posted. Aaron says this is a solid thriller. Matthew McConaughey turns in a performance that makes the movie. This Blu-ray's fantastic video and audio are just the icing on the cake. Recommended

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4897...ln_lawyer.html
Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Matthew McConaughey in a legal thriller. Reminds me of A Time to Kill, which was awesome.

"YES I THINK THEY DESERVED TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!"

Might have to give this one a chance. I like Matty McKindagay when he keeps his shirt on and just does his witty everyman thing.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL83 View Post
Matthew McConaughey in a legal thriller. Reminds me of A Time to Kill, which was awesome.

Might have to give this one a chance. I like Matty McKindagay when he keeps his shirt on and just does his witty everyman thing.
He still finds a way to remove his shirt in this movie, although it's excusable because he's about to get it on with Marisa Tomei.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
He still finds a way to remove his shirt in this movie, although it's excusable because he's about to get it on with Marisa Tomei.
Ohh, nice. I mean, more power to the guy, flaunt it while you've got it, but it was getting to the point that it was distracting from his acting ability.

I can excuse almost anything for a dude about to get it on with Marisa Tomei. She is what, 45 and looked better than women half her age in The Wrestler.

Great review Aaron, I went back and read the rest of it and I will definitely watch this. I'd probably only buy it if it ends up in the used Blockbuster section for $10ish, but I do like a legal thriller when it's done properly. Michael Clayton is the most recent one that I totally loved.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL83 View Post

I've become very jaded with respect to legal thrillers from Hollywood. With age and greater world context most now seem like some way for Hollywood to beat us over the head with a a cliched and overwrought political message (looking squarely at you "A Time To Kill" and "Runaway Jury").

IF this movie doesn't fit this bill, I might just check it out.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Strasse View Post
I've become very jaded with respect to legal thrillers from Hollywood. With age and greater world context most now seem like some way for Hollywood to beat us over the head with a a cliched and overwrought political message (looking squarely at you "A Time To Kill" and "Runaway Jury").

It didn't really feel like there was an underlying political message in this one. I didn't feel that way anyway.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM

There's a gastropub that is featured in this film (three scenes) that is my favorite eatery in L.A. It's called The York. I've sat in those same seats that Macy and Matthew were sitting in that look out onto the street.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Strasse View Post

Check it out. It's a terrific movie. We don't get much in the way of legal thrillers so when something like this comes along it's a refreshing change from the usual comic book crap that we're getting from Hollywood these days.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
Check it out. It's a terrific movie. We don't get much in the way of legal thrillers so when something like this comes along it's a refreshing change from the usual comic book crap that we're getting from Hollywood these days.
Ironically, the "comic book crap" is among the better movies coming out recently, critically and commercially. X-Men: The Last Stand was fantastic, and Thor was much better than it had any right to be. If superhero movies are more Dark Knight/Iron Man and less X-Men 3/Spider-Man 3, then I'm ok with them coming out all the time.

I agree though, moar legal thrillers please. Michael Clayton is the last one I've watched (and many times, at that) and that was out in what, 2007? A far cry from the days when John Grisham was the hottest author around.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 AM

I loved this film, this will be a day and date buy for me and the fact it has 4.5 PQ and great audio is just a bonus.

WHile this may not be everyone's cup of tea, I do recommend checking it out.