'Top Gear: The Complete Season 16' is coming August 9 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM

Default 'Top Gear: The Complete Season 16' is coming August 9

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5450/top_gear_16.html
Old 06-17-2011, 01:18 PM

No doubt complete with lossy stereo audio and interlaced video - converted from 50hz to 60hz as a special treat for our American viewers.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 AM

Default Classic

Top gear sums up everything about british comedy as well as reviewing some truly amazing cars. The international remakes and spin offs just cant seem to pull it off and I have met afew Americans who have asked me about some of the british slang words they use but they still love the show all the same.

When me and my friends got tickets to go and see the live show at the test track, jeremy, richard and james served all of the audience with cups of tea and refreshments at the interval.

Im sure the blu ray will be pretty good as it looks to be one of the better shows that the BBC broadcast in HD.

Top guys, incredibly funny and a great show.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:30 PM

It took me one and a half seasons before I realized Quids and Pounds were the same thing. Before that realization, I kept being annoyed that the kept switching currencies, LOL.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spader View Post
No doubt complete with lossy stereo audio and interlaced video - converted from 50hz to 60hz as a special treat for our American viewers.
This is especially annoying for me because my TV plays 50Hz content just fine. I suppose if I really bothered I could import it, but Top Gear isn't the sort of thing I'd like to own anyway.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 PM

I just wish that they could secure the music rights for the releases. I've noticed quite a few differences.

But at least the video is 100x better than the crappy SD BBC America channel DirectTV offers..

(insert DirectTV gripe over not having AMC HD, BBCA HD, and TCM HD... but at least we get HDNet/Movies)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Yes Top Gear is quite a big thing here in England. It is the biggest show to watch on a Sunday night with a brand new series airing this Sunday too ...

Funny you should mention the "Quid" thing as well because the last time I was in Florida I met a man from New England who recognised my accent, loved Top Gear and was desperate to find out what a "Quid" was.

We also call money: "Dosh, Cash, Wonga, Squid and Notes" if you're interested
Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 PM

I fucking love this show.

They play the new US version here and it's getting quite popular among gearheads, but it irks me to no end to hear them talk about "Top Gear" and have no idea who Jeremy Clarkson is. I sound like one of those crotchety old "get off my lawn" guys when I remind them that the real, better version is the UK one, which has been around for years and years.

The cars are fantastic, the things they do to them are impressive, but the hosts really make the show, and the US guys just don't have that likability factor that Clarkson and co. have, though the things they do with the cars are just as impressive.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Yeah clarkson and co have an amazing on screen chemistry which would be hard to replicate...they are all funny guys but they are more special because they are able to appeal to a US audience as well as an English audience which is hard due to the fact that British and American humour is very different. British humour is very tongue in cheek, sarcastic and witty where as American humour is very loud, crude and in your face. Both which appear on the show which is fantastic.

The show has always been good but in the last few years it has really taken off due to big US stars appearing on the show like tom cruise, cameron diaz, jay leno, ken block and mark whalberg which has boosted popularity, increased ratings and allowed the bbc to give the show more funding....

It is always nice trying to see the Americans trying to grasp driving on the left hand side of the road as well as using a manual car too