'Sanctum' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Default 'Sanctum' - High-Def Digest Review

Out review of 'Sanctum' has just been posted. Steve Seebacher says this is a fairly middle of the road Blu-ray release. The movie isn't so great. Video isn't terribly strong. Audio is excellent. Extras should please fans. This is worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4630/sanctum.html
Old 06-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Right from the start it was highly publicized that James Cameron was an executive producer on the film, and that he was bringing the special 3D fusion camera system that he used to film 'Avatar.' Sanctum was touted as the next great 3D spectacle to hit the big screen. Unfortunately, the Cameron brand name was not enough to make this another huge success, 'Sanctum' only earned a little over $27 million during its box office run, well under studio expectations.
"Highly publicized" 2011 movie? Funny that I have never heard of it.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Yeah, James Cameron's name was plastered all over the trailers, TV spots, and posters.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Yeah, James Cameron's name was plastered all over the trailers, TV spots, and posters.
Yah I totally remember. I also remember it flopping in theaters LOL
Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 PM

I remember seeing Cameron's name all over it when I saw a few trailers at the theater, but besides that I don't recall much publicity.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM

It was all pretty much showing his name on all the movie posters and saying "From executive producer James Cameron, the creator of Avatar" with all the TV spots and trailers. It's hard to find any material without his name on it.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
I remember seeing Cameron's name all over it when I saw a few trailers at the theater, but besides that I don't recall much publicity.
Pretty much what I was thinking. I remember seeing a poster at the theaters about a James Cameron underwater movie, but I actually thought it was for like a Titanic movie or something. I don't recall any TV spots, movie trailers, radio spots or billboards promoting this movie. Which may be why it flopped.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Default SANCTUM 3-D -- An Intense Ride...

As several other comments have noted, SANCTUM did not get as much publicity as one might expect from a 3-D movie produced by James Cameron. I did not know what to expect going in, other than the thrill of (hopefully) some very good 3-D effects. I was not disappointed.

Unlike The Descent, the horror film wherein a group of female cave divers gets terrorized by nightmarish monsters, SANCTUM keeps it real, and ultimately is all the more powerful as a result. With its many underwater scenes, Cameron's ABYSS comes to mind, although the underground/underwater cave setting certainly sets it apart, making for a unique, intense cinema experience, enhanced greatly with its skillful use of 3-D.

Ultimately melodramatic, perhaps, but not moreso than any number of movies. I found SANCTUM 3-D to be fun, thrilling, interesting, and eventually somewhat of an exhausting, bittersweet thrillride. Certainly a worthy addition to anyone's 3-D home video library.