'Gods and Generals: Extended Director's Cut' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Default 'Gods and Generals: Extended Director's Cut' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Gods and Generals: Extended Director's Cut' has been posted. Is this Blu-ray an epic success? Read our review to find out...

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4773...tended_dc.html
Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Default Confused about the bottom line

Do you guys employ a standardized rating system to determine "Recommended," "One to Avoid," etc? The reason I ask is because when I see a movie that only gets 2 stars, video which is barely three stars, and an audio which rates high, I am wondering how it could be "recommended," when I've seen movies get 4 or 5 stars but the audio/video get lowsy ratings and you say, "One to Avoid." I understand this is a blu-ray forum and as such the discs should be the best audio and visual presentation, but I am not going to buy a bad movie just to see it look pretty or sound great.

Having said all of that, I have never seen "Gods & Generals," but I do have this one on my "Sick with a bedridden illness which will last more than a week," "To watch" list.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM

on my early & often to watch list
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 PM

You post exactly the same review of the film - right down to the 3 1/2 hour running time comment and not even adding Antietam to the list of battles depicted - and expect us to believe that you actually watched it with that cop-out statement at the start? The Director's Cut enhances the film considerably and as it flows better it actually feels a lot shorter than the mangled theatrical cut.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
You post exactly the same review of the film - right down to the 3 1/2 hour running time comment and not even adding Antietam to the list of battles depicted - and expect us to believe that you actually watched it with that cop-out statement at the start? The Director's Cut enhances the film considerably and as it flows better it actually feels a lot shorter than the mangled theatrical cut.
'Gods and Generals' is still dreadfully filled with exposition and adding an hour to the movie doesn't help that out one bit. Yes I watched it, and I agreed with the review Ken wrote when it was first released on the format.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 PM

guess we could use another reviewer
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simón Bolívar View Post
guess we could use another reviewer
I rather doubt that. Most reviewers agree that this is not as good as Gettysburg and I thought that was only about a 3 star movie.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 AM

And every review I've read agrees G&G suffers from over compression fitting it on to one 50GB disc. So typical of Warner - let's not spend another 50 cents and spread it over 2 50GB discs, let's spend that 50 cents on fluff packaging so that we can charge a premium price for a mediocre product. I do like G&G, it has it's faults but is an interesting historical piece. I may pick it up when it's bargain priced in a standard case - it's already in a standard case in Warner's box o' fluff collector's edition with Gettysburg.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
'Gods and Generals' is still dreadfully filled with exposition and adding an hour to the movie doesn't help that out one bit. Yes I watched it, and I agreed with the review Ken wrote when it was first released on the format.
sure are lazy, then
Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simón Bolívar View Post
sure are lazy, then
Sure are rude, then. We get that you're completely gaga over this film, you've posted about it deserving sainthood since it came out on HD DVD umpteen years ago. That someone doesn't care for a movie you like so much just means they have different tastes in movies and there's no reason to be offensive about it.