'Maverick' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Default 'Maverick' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Maverick' has just been posted. Nate had never seen this one before, and while it had it's moments, he thought it wore a bit thin after a while. Probably best suited for fans. This Blu-ray features fairly strong video, disappointing audio, and a couple of Blu-ray exclusives. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/302/maverick.html
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Well, I certainly enjoyed this film much more than Nate. I don't hold it against films when it decides to give players ridiculous cards. It's a movie. A film based off a comedic western TV series. I certainly feel the chemistry between the characters was palpable. I generally felt they enjoyed each others company. But, then again I wasn't worrying on the hands they were holding.

Yes, the "twists" do get to be a bit much towards the end. However, I still enjoyed it, and a part of charm. Everyone is a cheat...except Maverick.

I'd probably give it 4 out of 5.

The audio is a dud. The video is a minor upgrade. It's not "huge." The special features are still lackluster. I mean, Unforgiven included the episode of Maverick with Clint Eastwood. Why couldn't they include an episode for a special feature on this?

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 06-01-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM

2.0? Even Back to fucking School has a 5.1 track...
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
2.0? Even Back to fucking School has a 5.1 track...
Yeah, it blows the mind. I was confused.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Maverick worth 4 stars

I always liked this movie, because it is one of those goofy kind of films, that don't want to change the world, but give you a good time for 1.5 -2 hours. I bought the DVD back in 94' or 95' when it came out and watched it over the years several times.
As the size of our TV's grew over the years, I watched this movie less and less, because the picture quality of the DVD is simply poor.
We watched this Blu Ray the other day and even if it is not a 5 star killer, it is certainly a huge step up from that old, awfully looking DVD.
Recommended for those, who like sometimes light entertainment.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Surely someone can at least edit the first line, which currently reads:
I don't know why I avoided 'Maverick' in all the years I was buying DVDs like they some sound investment.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:07 PM

You must have bought the LD if it was in 94-95.

I recall reading an article on Dolby Digital / DTS and 5.1 sound around the time that Maverick came out, and it specifically mentioned that Maverick was one of the last major studio releases with only a matrixed surround track - hence the 2-channel mix.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 PM

agreed. Maverick is true to it's source. a 2.0 track is what it was filmed with which is what it got
Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 AM

I liked the "Lethal Weapon" nod during the bank robbery scene. ha ha. I did enjoy the movie. Dumb fun, indeed. And the stereotype-bending Chief Joseph is classic.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Well, I certainly enjoyed this film much more than Nate. I don't hold it against films when it decides to give players ridiculous cards. It's a movie. A film based off a comedic western TV series. I certainly feel the chemistry between the characters was palpable. I generally felt they enjoyed each others company. But, then again I wasn't worrying on the hands they were holding.

Yes, the "twists" do get to be a bit much towards the end. However, I still enjoyed it, and a part of charm. Everyone is a cheat...except Maverick.

I'd probably give it 4 out of 5.

The audio is a dud. The video is a minor upgrade. It's not "huge." The special features are still lackluster. I mean, Unforgiven included the episode of Maverick with Clint Eastwood. Why couldn't they include an episode for a special feature on this?
Agreed all around. I liked the movie way more than Nate (just saw it last night). Definitely great chemistry between the leads. The film was so much fun, it got me interested in the original TV series and everything. This has an old-fashioned, good, clean fun feel to it that you don't see in many modern westerns. More special features would've been appreciated though.

Last edited by eastx; 08-05-2012 at 09:59 PM.