'Just Go With It' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM

Default 'Just Go With It' - High-Def Digest Review

Adam Sandler really needs to take a break from the Happy Madison widget factory and appear in another producer's film. One that requires him to act again. Steven Cohen has reviewed 'Just Go With It.' Like the title itself, this movie is unremarkable in every way. This Blu-ray features solid video and audio, and plenty of extras, but none of it is worth your precious time. One to avoid.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4861/justgowithit.html
Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM

i disagree with that review i found the film good with one bad point Nick Swardson Who ever told his guy he could act must have been blind
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM

I had really low expectations going into this one and I came away thinking it was very average. Some good moments here and there (the sheep) but nothing that made me want to recommend this to my peers. BTW, very good way to write the review, put a smile on my face as I read through it.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 AM

I suggest that the reviewer sticks to arty-farty films... or gets a life.
No really, can't you find someone who isn't prejudiced towards this type of films to write a review?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM

No offense xit, but if movies were only reviewed by people who liked the film, it kind of defeats the purpose of a review since they'd all be positive.

Sandler has some great, hilarious films, but lately he's just repeating the same old shtick (and mostly the unfunny shtick from his better movies mind you). I actually went into 'Grown Ups' expecting classic Sandler from his Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore days, even despite hearing all of the negativity. But the fact is that film is just utter crap, mainly because all it is really is just a vacation for him and his friends. There was no effort in the movie whatsoever.

Adam Sandler really is starting to be like one of those comedians who tells a joke and if everyone laughs, then they repeat it again to milk it, only the second time there's less laughter. Then the third time, there is even fewer reactions from the audience, and the fourth on there's nothing. Someone can only get so far on the same material over and over again.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 PM

well no offense landy, but obviously theres alot of people that LOVE adam sandler movies, me included, thats why they keep making them. oh and also beacuse they also make alot of money, which is a testament to how many people see his movies. these critics really let me know how out of touch some really are. Personally i like funny people and pretty much any adam sandler movie. he just has a hardcore fanbase that appreciates his style of comedy. I hope he never stops, thank you adam!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQSTUDIOS View Post
well no offense landy, but obviously theres alot of people that LOVE adam sandler movies, me included, thats why they keep making them. oh and also beacuse they also make alot of money, which is a testament to how many people see his movies. these critics really let me know how out of touch some really are.
My point exactly.

Is 'Just Go With It' Sandler's best movie? Absolutely not.
Does that, by definition, make it a bad movie? Absolutely not.

And in the end, it's all about the numbers... Which is the better movie? The one that millions see, makes tens of millions profit but is trashed by the critics or the one that is loved by those same critics but that is seen by them and no-one else and that takes a multimillion dollar loss?
Critics should start asking themselves why certain movies that they hate so much are loved by the public. Are all those millions of spectators wrong or could it be that they are wrong and have no idea what the public wants?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Sorry, but it actually isn't about the numbers. Just because a movie might make a decent amount of money doesn't mean it isn't still a shitty movie.

For example, Adam Sandler has a fan base who will see every one of his films no matter what, so there's a set amount of ticket sales there. And then throw in somebody like Jennifer Aniston who is another draw for a certain crowd and then you have more ticket sales in the bag. But all this really means is that a fair amount of people went to see the movie in theaters. However, it doesn't mean that they had an enjoyable time.

And by the way, many critics are people too, you know. They aren't all from the planet snob. The third paragraph even states that he's a Sandler fan, but didn't find the movie funny and then goes on to explain why. What's wrong with that?

The awards history for both 'Grown Ups' and 'Just Go With It' speak for themselves. The only nominations they received (besides Rob Schneider's well deserved Razzie nom, though I personally would have went with Colin Quinn) are for Teen Choice or MTV awards. These are typically younger crowds, crowds that probably didn't see Sandler's earlier films. So of course they might find the jokes and gags funny, because they are fresh and new to them, even though they are really just stale rehashes.

Last edited by Landy; 06-03-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xit2050 View Post

And in the end, it's all about the numbers... Which is the better movie? The one that millions see, makes tens of millions profit but is trashed by the critics or the one that is loved by those same critics but that is seen by them and no-one else and that takes a multimillion dollar loss?
Critics should start asking themselves why certain movies that they hate so much are loved by the public. Are all those millions of spectators wrong or could it be that they are wrong and have no idea what the public wants?
While I totally respect the fact that you like this film, I find your logic here to be ...troubling. The whole idea that a movie can only be good if it's a blockbuster, well respectfully, doesn't make any sense. Popularity and quality certainly can have a direct correlation but sometimes great work simply gets overlooked and poor work gets far too much attention. Also, as Landy pointed out, just because someone saw a movie doesn't mean they actually liked it.

At the end of the day a review is just one single opinion. In this case, mine, and I sure as hell am not influenced by a film's box office performance. I don't really care what the "public" wants (though as Landy pointed out, as a human being I actually am part of that public) I just write the review based on my personal reaction to the movie. It isn't my job to concern myself with what the audience wants (though again, I'm a member of the audience, aren't I?), that's the studio's, and regardless of box office numbers, in this case I think they did a poor job. We all have different tastes, but I certainly am not prejudiced against Sandler, comedies, or even romantic comedies. I am however prejudiced against bad movies, and 'Just Go With It', in my opinion, is a very, very bad movie.

Still, while we do seem to disagree on quite a bit, I am going to follow one of your suggestions and get a life. I've heard quite good things about them.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 PM

I think many of the people who kinda "got to like" a less good film are right in their way - this applys sometimes for myself too; with good company, the right mood and a good seat in the theather the experience can eventually turn a very mediocre film to a likable one. And once you end up liking a film you often won't forget it very fast..only time will tell what is to last..