'United 93' is coming September 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Default 'United 93' is coming September 6

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4024/united93.html
Old 05-29-2011, 04:02 AM

I have to say, I think the release date of this very hard to watch film is very insensitive to those family members who lost someone on 9/11. They should have released it months before, IMO. I may be just being a little oversensitive, I guess. The timing of this release just seems to be an attempt to maximize profits....with little regard of sensitvity. K.....I'll shut up now and step off my soapbox.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 PM

Default Best film of 2006

It's yet another testament to the out-of-touchness of the Academy Awards that this movie fails to get a nomination for best picture, but a thoroughly mediocre film like Babel and a merely good comedy like Little Miss Sunshine were in the running.

As to its release date, I'm surprised that Universal isn't labeling the movie United 93: EXTREME 9/11 10th Anniversary edition. Except in its depiction of the European on the flight, this film is the best celluloid tribute to those passengers, and, because of that, I have no problem with the movie coming out the Tuesday before the date.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneybean163 View Post
It's yet another testament to the out-of-touchness of the Academy Awards that this movie fails to get a nomination for best picture, but a thoroughly mediocre film like Babel and a merely good comedy like Little Miss Sunshine were in the running.

As to its release date, I'm surprised that Universal isn't labeling the movie United 93: EXTREME 9/11 10th Anniversary edition. Except in its depiction of the European on the flight, this film is the best celluloid tribute to those passengers, and, because of that, I have no problem with the movie coming out the Tuesday before the date.
You're high if you think Babel was mediocre.

/facepalm
Old 06-01-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
You're high if you think Babel was mediocre.

/facepalm
I absolutely thought it was mediocre. In fact, I can't remember a damn thing about it. Not my cup o' tea.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC View Post
I absolutely thought it was mediocre. In fact, I can't remember a damn thing about it. Not my cup o' tea.
Yeah, but you have questionable taste, so I'll let that slide.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
I have to say, I think the release date of this very hard to watch film is very insensitive to those family members who lost someone on 9/11. They should have released it months before, IMO. I may be just being a little oversensitive, I guess. The timing of this release just seems to be an attempt to maximize profits....with little regard of sensitvity. K.....I'll shut up now and step off my soapbox.
No, I agree. My first impression was this is in bad taste, trying to capitalize on the 10th anniversary of the tragedy to sell more copies. They should release it around the 4th of July if they want to capitalize around a certain date. Appeal to folks' sense of patriotism, don't rub salt into old wounds.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
You're not wrong to question it. But the world doesn't stop just because some of the victims might be offended. It has been a decade and for some people that's plenty of time. Commemorating the anniversary by watching United 93 wouldn't really be out of line with watching war movies on Memorial Day, would it? It helps that the movie is pretty good.

I'm sure the 10th anniversary release has been planned for a while but I wonder if the recent death of OBL removed some of the insensitivity concerns the studio might've had.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor: Commemorating the anniversary by watching United 93 wouldn't really be out of line with watching war movies on Memorial Day, would it? It helps that the movie is pretty good.
I have to agree. People usually commemorate anniversaries out of respect for the day and the people involved. I think it honors the people of Flight 93 to 1.) make the film in the first place; and 2.) release it on the day of their deaths. It's not like the surviving family members are suddenly going to be reminded of that awful day because of a Blu-ray release. As the 10th anniversary approaches it'll be non-stop "Remembering 9/11" all the time.

I only saw the film once and it was really too intense for me. I thought it was a fine film, though.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Good film. I saw it at the theater, and then bought the DVD when it was released, but I never could bring myself to watch the DVD. So, I will pass on this on Blu Ray, I guess this is just too intense for me.