'True Blood: The Complete Third Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2011, 06:07 PM

Default 'True Blood: The Complete Third Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'True Blood: The Complete Third Season' has been posted. Aaron says it's a decent season that fans should be happy with, though thanks to the vampire over-exposure everywhere lately his tolerance for fanged monsters is starting to wear a little thin. HBO has delivered another terrific set, though, with great video, amazing audio, and a nice arrangement of supplements. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4053/trueblood_s3.html
Old 05-27-2011, 06:30 PM

I wonder if Aaron's disillusion with the Vampire genre played into his rating of the "movie itself". I get the feeling that the fact that he is beginning to dislike the genre motivated him to give the season a lower rating. The movie should be rated on its merits alone and not on other films in the genre.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frag Mortuus View Post
I wonder if Aaron's disillusion with the Vampire genre played into his rating of the "movie itself". I get the feeling that the fact that he is beginning to dislike the genre motivated him to give the season a lower rating. The movie should be rated on its merits alone and not on other films in the genre.
3.5 is very respectable for a TV show, movie, or anything. 7/10. that's more than passing. when i first viewed season 1, i gave it a 7/10 elsewhere, i do believe. and since then it's grown on me and i'd rate it a little higher. shows start to go downhill, and perhaps the introduction of werewolves into another vampire story can upset people. i mean, it's gotten way too cliche to mix the two ever since underworld.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frag Mortuus View Post
I kinda gotta agree. Just because the reviewer is "getting tired of vampires" doesn't mean it should affect his review of a series about vampires. This would be like me reviewing a movie about football and constantly mentioning " by the way, I'm tired of football, I hate football". People should be reviewing it on the merits of the show itself, not if you are "bored with the genre". I think the review of the series itself is pretty poor in that his personal feelings on a genre should not impact the review....which it did in this review.
Someone else should have reviewed this and not taken into account "genre tiredness". I mean, he mentioned it in the beginning of the review...the middle of the review...and the end of the review. We get it...you are tired of vampires and probably shouldn't be reviewing things about vampires.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Season three was definitely better than season two, but Ball tried to do too much. The introduction of werewolves was pretty much wasted, Sookie's "gift" was downright laughable, and I really just threw my hands up as soon as I heard "werepanther." Too much melodrama, too much whining.

Rating is where it should be, and I'm a fan of the show. Now time for the weather! Tiffany?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:17 PM

In the very first line of the review, Aaron acknowledges he was really into this show when the first season aired. So if he started to lose interest, perhaps the series itself is to blame. Besides, judging from the score, it looks to me that he still gave it a fair shake.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Former Member

I think people are taking the first paragraph too harshly and seriously, like it affected his ability to do his job professionally. as Tom said, 7/10, that's a fair shake if ever i saw one. it's in line with the rest of the series, the tech areas show he didn't show bias there, either.

expressing frustration over how tired out something has become isn't a crime, nor does it make Aaron less suited to write the review. he got the review to the masses before it streeted, he gave it a very good effort, and gave the straight shit on why True Blood releases are must own: the tech side, on top of the fact the show is pretty fucking good.

i don't see the point in creating controversy where there is none.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:27 AM

I explain in the last paragraph that I'm tired of all the overacting that comes along with any vampire show. All the glowering and growling tends to get on my nerves especially because that's how all vampires act in movies whether they were created by Alan Ball or not. Thing is the 'True Blood' vampires are walking a very thin line between being interesting and being just another vampire show. With the introduction of werewolves these overacted scenes have become ever more prevalent. I'm still interested in the storylines going on, but all the stuff that comes along with a vampire show is starting to get to me if that makes sense.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 AM

i'd agree with aaron, i'm getting tired of it all and thought this season wasn't as good as the previous two

hopefully season 4 turns it around
Old 05-28-2011, 12:41 PM

I agree that I Disagree with those who disagree with those who agree on the fact that his boredom with vampires may have or not have influenced in some kind or not of way with the average score of the series.