'Lethal Weapon Collection (U.K. Import)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Default 'Lethal Weapon Collection (U.K. Import)' - High-Def Digest Review

We've just posted Enois' review of the 'Lethal Weapon Collection (U.K. Import).' He says it's a great set containing all four films in the franchise (the first two movies are even remastered from their previous editions), and the Blu-ray package includes an exclusive bonus disc of new supplements fans should enjoy. Definitely a title worth importing.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5300...lectionUK.html
Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 PM

yeah i love these movies, i'll definitely get it soon, i think two was always my favorite but i've enjoyed them all
Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 PM

what ever happened to the north american release?

there was a trailer last year showing it was coming Fall of 2010 and then nothing. i can understand the whole Gibson situation might have made them move the date but there's still no news, its as if they never announced it. i even noticed this UK set has the same cover art we were getting.

anyway as for the collection itself, these are great movies and i'll definately get it whenever it hits my shores.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Nice review Enois. One tiny correction though the Donner commentaries on the first three films are blu-ray exclusives and, like the material on the 5th disc, were newly recorded specifically for this set. The "Lethal 4" commentary was on the original DVD from 1998 which is why Donner is joined by others.

Quote:
what ever happened to the north american release?
Mel Gibson.

No, not really. Warner is rolling out all four "remastered" films next year (2012) to celebrate the first film's 25th Anniversary. It'll be the exact same set* as the UK one, just, probably, more expensive. (FYI, this is cheaper directly though Amazon.uk right now @ about $45 shipped)

Also, while these are the theatrical versions of the films, all of the alternate footage from the generally inferior, studio-manufactured DCs is included on these discs as "additional scenes" in the extras menu.

*Make no mistake, the blu-rays will be identical, just like the similarly delayed Batman Anthology. The discs load up with FBI warnings and everything.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 PM

In this review Enois calls it a new twist on an old formula, but really, Lethal Weapon invented the buddy cop movie as we know it today (you could make a case for 48 Hrs. I suppose, but Reggie Hammond wasn't actually a cop). It wasn't the first movie to pair two conflicting personalities for the purpose of solving a conflict, true. But pretty much all the cliches of the genre stemmed from Riggs and Murtaugh's first outing.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
One tiny correction though the Donner commentaries on the first three films are blu-ray exclusives and, like the material on the 5th disc, were newly recorded specifically for this set. The "Lethal 4" commentary was on the original DVD from 1998 which is why Donner is joined by others.
Oops! You are correct, sir. Placed in the wrong spot. Thanks, Super.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 PM

'Lethal Weapon' I hold to high regard, such an intelligent action picture, one of my favs in the genre.

After that, the franchise sort of falls apart for me. Joe Pesci, who I consider a fabulous actor in his own
right, but Leo Getz is just too much of a tacked on character.

By the time we get to Rene Russo, I throw up in my mouth a little bit.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM

Great review. Just a small correction though, burying a man alive in cement is awesome.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 AM

One thing in the review-- it doesn't list deleted scenes as extras on the first Lethal Weapon disc. Is that just a slight oversight? I'll probably get this set, but one thing I'll miss is the inclusion of the shooter at the school scene in part 1. I'm so used to that sequence being in the movie it will be weird without it.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
It's a five-disc package where all four movies on Region Free, BD50 discs are housed together on individual panels that flip over inside the usual blue keepcase.
Just got my set a few days ago from Amazon UK and it isn't a usual keepcase, it's a extra thick keepcase.

Thanks for the review, now can't wait to watch these!