'The Mechanic' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Default 'The Mechanic' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Mechanic' has been posted. According to Aaron this action flick starring Jason Statham is moderately interesting... until a miscast Ben Foster comes along to throw a monkey wrench into things. If you're a fan, though, this Blu-ray has highly impressive video/audio, but is lacking in the supplement department with not even twenty minutes of extras. In short, a "meh" release.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4597/themechanic.html
Old 05-24-2011, 05:21 PM

My friend recommended that I watch the original. That the plotting works a bit better, even if it's a tad slower paced.

I enjoyed the film for what it was. I don't think I would ever own it. It was a worthwhile "viewing" but that's about it.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM

The original The Mechanic is a piece of quintessential 70's cinema. It also has an awesome, if not entirely audience friendly, ending. In this world of neutered PG-13 action movies it seemed highly unlikely to me that the remake would stay true to the original in regards to the final act.

I was always interedsted in watching this just not at normal movie theater prices (lol) so this will be a redbox blu ray rental for me.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 PM

Not that one watches a movie like this for gender-equality, but did anyone notice how poorly women were represented in this? I've heard of underwritten female characters before, but this was something else.

On the action side, it's actually pretty slick. Too bad it isn't surrounded by a better plot. Agree with the review. It would've been better to nix Foster's character and just let Statham do his one-man wrecking crew act.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:28 PM

Not to mention the ending is completely and utterly out of character...

Spoiler
He feels guilty for killing his dad, who was his friend, so he takes on his son as an apprentice.

He ends up getting along with his son even though he's a bone-head.

He ends up killing said son in a fiery explosion with a note that seems like he's taking joy in his death.

After all his guilt, and remorse, he just up and kills the guy he was helping to train? He knew that he'd be found out sooner or later, but why delight in killing the kid you were trying to help in the first place? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Default A remake of a 70's action flick

I know that sometimes we do always agree with your reviewers' opinions. In this case, I think Aaron Peck was off base as he was with a classic from the '70s, "Something Wild". Ben Foster, I agree is a fine young actor as witness his performance in "The Messenger" but Peck was wrong in saying that his character wasn't essential in this movie or that he was miscast. There are worse actors that could be in this film such as Ashton Kutcher or Keeanu Reeves, who's too old for this anyway. The plot basically follows the Bronson film and the homosexual subplot was fairly suspenseful to boot. All this film was an okay action film and one could do a lot worse at the movies. Also Jason Statham was perfectly cast as well as Tony Goldwyn as the duplicituous boss.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Not that one watches a movie like this for gender-equality, but did anyone notice how poorly women were represented in this? I've heard of underwritten female characters before, but this was something else.
This movie was made for guys and didn't make any qualms about it, which I loved. not just guys but guys who like action movies. as an action movie buff I have Always hated the fact that most women in action movies are just thrown in to please the gender equality audience and just there to be held hostage at the end of the movie, with nothing significant to contribute. a good meaningful role is a good role regardless of gender. maggie q as the villain in die hard 4, deniro's lover in heat, even bond women even have some good roles with meaning. but if the movie's plot has nothing to do with women in a romantic role, please cut it out. let the ladies play their part briefly & cut to the chase if they're not going to contribute to the movie. sure, the only 2 females in this movie play hookers but they reflect the kind of lives these hitmen would live, they're not just thrown in for fun. what would have been no fun is 5 mins of pointless convo with them when they have nothing else to do in the plot. I give this movie high points just for that alone, to be bold enough to cut that crap, just get to the point.

another winner for jason. he's the man, guys admire him & girls want to see him in movies so he serves both audiences well : )
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM

I'm a big fan of the original Charles Bronson version, how does this remake compare to that one? I'll probably rent it first and it's good as the original, I'll buy it later.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 PM

I thought Ben Foster was the best part of this movie.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
I thought Ben Foster was the best part of this movie.
He is by far. His character actually had some depth and complexity and deserved a better movie built him. Foster is always pretty solid actually. He's very overlooked and hopefully he gets better roles in the future.