'The Usual Suspects (Digibook)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Default 'The Usual Suspects (Digibook)' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Usual Suspects (Digibook)' has been posted. Aaron says Keyser Soze would not be impressed. It's the exact same disc as the previous Blu-ray release, only it now comes with fancy digibook garnish. If you don't already own the old edition and/or really, really like digibooks, then you may want to check it out. Otherwise it sadly just ain't worth a double dip.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4892..._digibook.html
Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 AM

I owned the previous Blu-ray release and was not at all impressed, far from pristine picture and zero extras - what is the point of this duplicate release? Is MGM just flogging off their back-catalogue? This doesn't bode well for a decent release of David Lynch's "Blue Velvet" any time soon?!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 AM

This is ridiculous. Same old MPEG-2 transfer as the original release. Been waiting for ages for a decent release of this film--one of my all time favorities.

There have been far too many repackaging jobs lately; be it digi- or steelbooks. It's just sad behaviour on the part of the studios.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 AM

The studios are really pissing me off
Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM

Films worthy of the digibook format but not worthy of even a new encode. Makes sense.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag0nFly View Post
This is ridiculous. Same old MPEG-2 transfer as the original release. Been waiting for ages for a decent release of this film--one of my all time favorities.

There have been far too many repackaging jobs lately; be it digi- or steelbooks. It's just sad behaviour on the part of the studios.
I would have surely bought this digibook if only MGM had included the extras and a new transfer. This ranks as one of the best movies of the 90's and its a real shame that its treated so poorly on BD.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:24 AM

Someone needs to shoot MGM and put them out of their misery.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyDVDReviews View Post
Is not Sony taking over MGM's BD stuff? Maybe I misread it.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
I would have surely bought this digibook if only MGM had included the extras and a new transfer. This ranks as one of the best movies of the 90's and its a real shame that its treated so poorly on BD.
+1. I almost bought the digibook -- this was before the HDD review and no, don't have it yet on blu -- but so glad I didn't. Will hold onto my special edition DVD until a worthy replacement is found.

This repackaging shell game has to stop. Doesn't MGM/Fox realize that consumers aren't going to buy crappy releases, much less, the same crappy re-releases? A polished turd is still a turd.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
Films worthy of the digibook format but not worthy of even a new encode. Makes sense.
There used to be a time when the digibook format was a highly prized collectible. Unfortunately, the recent dumping of classic MGM movies onto digibook by distributor Fox has done nothing but devalue the format. Gone are the days when one could blindly buy a digibook release knowing that it was transferred with the utmost care.

Thankfully, we still have WB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyDVDReviews View Post
Someone needs to shoot Fox as MGM's distributor and put both of them out of their misery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
Is not Sony taking over MGM's BD stuff? Maybe I misread it.
I read somewhere that Sony is negotiating to be MGM's distributor...after Fox's contract ends this fall. This cannot happen soon enough!