'Some Like It Hot' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Default 'Some Like It Hot' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of Billy Wilder's classic 'Some Like It Hot' has been posted. This is still a fantastic comedy. This Blu-ray features very strong video, solid audio, and plenty of good extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4870...eithot_59.html
Old 05-20-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Our review of Billy Wilder's classic 'Some Like It Hot' has been posted. This is still a fantastic comedy. This Blu-ray features very strong video, solid audio, and plenty of good extras. Recommended.
Hi, this is one of my all-time fav films, I was a little disappointed by the extras, none of which were new to the Blu-ray and the audio commentary was a little pointless. I would have thought there was enough material to merit a feature length HD doc celebrating the film which, after all, is recognised by the AFI as the funniest comedy ever made.

Last edited by Exy; 05-20-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exy View Post
Hi, this is one of my all-time fav films, I was a little disappointed by the extras, none of which were new to the Blu-ray and the audio commentary was a little pointless. I would have thought there was enough material to merit a feature length HD doc celebrating the film, which after all, is recognised by the AFI as the funniest comedy ever made.
I agree, I think they did some injustice here, but I'll take Monroe in HD anyday, especially in this superb film. I LOVE this movie.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 PM

Very good movie but the funniest and best Marilyn Monroe movie is "The Seven Year Itch". Watching Tom Ewell self destruct as his imagination runs wild is hilarious and MM was absolutely gorgeous. The skirt blowing up scene is as iconic as they get.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:39 AM

Another good Billy Wilder movie ripe for Blu-ray release, although I think Monroe is more human, more vulnerable and given more to do in "Some Like It Hot". Whilst the "Seven Year Itch" has some wonderful moments it does seem a bit hidebound to its period, particularly in its treatment of women and Wilder does little to extend George Axelrod's 1952 stage play.

I also can't help thinking that if Walter Matthau had played the Tom Ewell part as Wilder had wanted, but was blocked by the studio, it would have made the Richard Sherman character a bit more sympathetic, Ewell often comes over as a bit of a sleaze, in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 AM

Eeehh. I was kinda hoping for the original mono mix to be included.