'Solaris' (1972) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM

Default 'Solaris' (1972) - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed Andrei Tarkovsky's 'Solaris' (1972). He says this brooding masterpiece stays with you and demands repeat viewings. This Criterion Blu-ray features much improved video, faithful audio, and the same extras as the previously released DVD edition. This is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4715/solaris_72.html
Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM

I love Solaris and was absolutely captivated by my first viewing when I was young. Repeat viewings have (no pun intended) created a Russian Doll effect where something that I have missed before becomes apparent.
It is slow going but it is so heavily layered that it does become a joy as you can take the time to pick out its little secrets and nuances.
Ultimately it does ask the big question and that is what exactly is reality?
The ending remains an absolute knock out, even on repeat viewings - its haunting power really does stay with you.
This is definitely joining my collection - simply one of the greats of Science Fiction cinema.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:39 PM

I really wish this was on sale when Amazon had the Criterion sale. I'm dying to see and own this movie. I may wait for the price to drop though since I just spent so much $ on the Criterion sale LOL
Old 05-19-2011, 03:47 PM

This film would have been much easier to watch if they would have just removed the 7 hour drive through the streets from the car's headlights perspective. Where was the editor on that deal?

People should try this out before buying it though. Its a love/hate film much like any of the similar films in this genre. You'll either adore it, or you'll want to kill women and children about halfway through waiting for something to actually happen.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 PM

I love it and I love the famous ride shot in Japan
Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmk2 View Post
I love it and I love the famous ride shot in Japan
Me, too. If you think that part's boring, you're boring.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
This film would have been much easier to watch if they would have just removed the 7 hour drive through the streets from the car's headlights perspective. Where was the editor on that deal?

People should try this out before buying it though. Its a love/hate film much like any of the similar films in this genre. You'll either adore it, or you'll want to kill women and children about halfway through waiting for something to actually happen.
Road you know there's a significant importance to that scene right?

i love Solaris. wayyy up there on my all time favorites list, and i can't wait to own this one. i wasn't as big of a fan of Tarkovsky's other films as i was this one but perhaps additional viewings for those are in order (as well).
Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 PM

I've tried to watch this a couple times and it pretty much bored me to tears.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
Road you know there's a significant importance to that scene right?

i love Solaris. wayyy up there on my all time favorites list, and i can't wait to own this one. i wasn't as big of a fan of Tarkovsky's other films as i was this one but perhaps additional viewings for those are in order (as well).
No I actually dont. I felt it messed up the pacing of the film. I was starting to get drawn in, at least enough to hold my interest but that scene just came out of nowhere. Its not a bad film by any means and my comment was tongue-in-cheek somewhat. Just felt that could have been left out and it wouldnt have hurt the film at all.

Tell me about the importance of this scene - use spoiler tags if need be.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:13 AM

I love Stalker, so I'm considering a blind buy of this one. Seems like my type of film.

I wish Stalker would get a proper remastered Blu release.