'Grand Prix' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-18-2011, 01:05 PM

Default 'Grand Prix' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Grand Prix' has just been posted. Steven Cohen says this isn't a perfect film, but it has some technically impressive and visually thrilling moments. This Blu-ray is remarkably good, with great video, faithful audio, and some refreshing extras. This is
recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4754/grandprix.html
Old 05-18-2011, 02:12 PM

how does it compare to the HD-DVD? I've already got that, and it looks amazing, but I'm wondering if I should swap it for the blu version.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:54 PM

I will keep my HD DVD - don't think the excellent PQ can be topped and the motor sounds are awesome even in legacy codecs. And the cars, well they was amazing at the time - just as amazing as my dad told me they were in the early 60s. And I love that my 5 year old son likes this film and its cars too.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM

How can the HD DVD's Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround be rated higher than the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix on this blu-ray?

Why are there no links to the HD DVD review like there have been in the past?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.master.dre View Post
How can the HD DVD's Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround be rated higher than the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix on this blu-ray?

Why are there no links to the HD DVD review like there have been in the past?
Different reviewer, different opinion. Also, the HD DVD was a fairly early title to be released, and since then many discs have sort of upped the expectations for what a high-def disc should and can sound like. I don't have the HD DVD version to compare to but I judged the new track on its own merits within the current Blu-ray audio climate, and felt that a 3.5 was right. Still a positive rating, and a good mix that accurately represents the film, just doesn't compare to stronger examples currently available.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM

It sounds to me like this blu-ray release is essentially the same level of pq/aq as the earlier HD-DVD (I'm not suggesting DD+ is just as good as DTS lossless, just that it sounds like the source material doesn't benefit particularly from DTS lossless). The extras in both are SD, so unless some major work was done on the video to improve PQ of the film, this is probably a wash betweeh BD and HD-DVD? That's not a bad thing - as my HD-DVD of this title is terrific! That HD-DVD replaced my laser disc of the same title, but I'm not seeing a need to replace again with the BD. If someone has both the HD-DVD and BD, some comments about a comparison would benefit many of us.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Default Great Review

I love this movie and thought the review really captured what makes Grand Prix special as a film. I am "upgrading" my HD-DVD copy to the BD (I pre-ordered on Amazon when this and Le Mans were announced) mainly because its one of my last HD-DVDs in my library and I'd rather play my favorite movies via my Sony BD carousel than my old Xbox HD drive.