'Diabolique' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Default 'Diabolique' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven Cohen has reviewed the Criterion Collection's release of Henri-Georges Clouzot's 'Diabolique.' Simply put, this is a masterpiece of suspense, the template countless films have tried to follow in the decades since.This Blu-ray features very nice video, faithful audio, and a nice selection of extras. Any serious film fan should have this in his o her collection. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4724/diabolique.html
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 PM

still absolutely appalled at the AWFUL cover artwork on this bd that is also a spoiler at the same time.
just inexcusable.
I wish Criterion would fire the guy that draws the wretched "cartoon" covers that have appeared on a few Criterion bds like this one and Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss.
I just can't tell you how much I despise them, and will definitely be replacing them as fast as I can with anything else.
god they just look SOOOO hideous.
I actually feel ill when I look at them they bother me so much.
(rant over; just had to get that off my chest; REALLY hate these cartoon covers with a deep passion)
btw: After all these years I STILL don't understand why Criterion titles this dvd/bd Diabolique when the title on the screen reads Les Diaboliques.
I mean if they were translating the title I would get it, but they are just leaving it as French word that is not the title.
just don't get it.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM

The covers for the Fuller films and the cover for Diabolique are by two entirely different artists. The only similarities they seem to share is that they are drawn and have slightly cartoonish elements.

Personally, I love Daniel Clowes' Fuller covers. They perfectly represent the slightly off-kilter pulp feel of the films. I think they're some of the most adventurous covers Criterion has released in a while... especially considering how dull some of their more recent artwork has been.

I'm not a huge fan of this Diabolique cover, and I can concede to your point that it is a spoiler - though, not an unforgivable one... it's an act that happens relatively early in the film and is a catalyst for everything that follows. However, there are elements of the cover I really, really like.

"Ill", huh? Yeah, you should probably see a doctor about that.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 PM

When I saw this a couple of weeks ago, the ending scared the $hit outta me! But anyway, it felt like a Hitchcock film and I was impressed with it overall.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 PM

sorry, really figured it was the same guy.
so I guess that means 2 people need to be fired then.
seriously, no more of these terrible cartoon covers.
They are the worst.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
Personally, I love Daniel Clowes' Fuller covers. They perfectly represent the slightly off-kilter pulp feel of the films. I think they're some of the most adventurous covers Criterion has released in a while... especially considering how dull some of their more recent artwork has been.
I'm with Arkadin on this. The comic book covers, especially those by Daniel Clowes, are hideous and totally inappropriate to the movies they support. I honestly cannot fathom how anyone at Criterion thought it would be a good idea to hire him for this job. They might as well have hired the guy who draws Family Circus. There's an absolute disconnect between style and subject matter.

The Diabolique cover isn't quite as terrible, but I'm not particularly fond of it either.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
btw: After all these years I STILL don't understand why Criterion titles this dvd/bd Diabolique when the title on the screen reads Les Diaboliques.
I mean if they were translating the title I would get it, but they are just leaving it as French word that is not the title.
just don't get it.
I understand what you're saying here, but the movie's international release title has always been 'Diabolique'. That's not something Criterion mistranslated.

I'm sure that title was chosen back in the day because it still sounds foreign and exotic, but was understandable enough to an average non-French-speaking viewer. "Diabolique" sounds enough like "diabolical" that people would instantly get what it meant. "Les Diaboliques" is a little more obtuse. The nearest sound-alike would be "The Diabolicals," which doesn't make sense because there's no noun form of the word diabolical in English.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I'm sure that title was chosen back in the day because it still sounds foreign and exotic, but was understandable enough to an average non-French-speaking viewer. "Diabolique" sounds enough like "diabolical" that people would instantly get what it meant. "Les Diaboliques" is a little more obtuse. The nearest sound-alike would be "The Diabolicals," which doesn't make sense because there's no noun form of the word diabolical in English.
"The Devilish" would be a well-translated take, but might've come across a bit more silly than would've been desired.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM

I notice in old movies that whenever a woman has a closeup, the lens filter changes to a soft focus (or they Vaseline it or whatever). Do you think that's why all the softness in the transfer, because both leads were women?

The movie is amazing, BTW. I bet when that thing happened at the end (you know, THAT thing), people freaked the fuck out back in 1955.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Just watched this last night. Wow, EXCELLENT movie.