'Gantz' is coming August 30 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Landy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,874
Default 'Gantz' is coming August 30

Looks like Warner Brothers is back to making HD DVDs, unless this being a Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD combo is a typo on their press site:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5212/gantz.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Arkadin's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,401
Default

gotta be a mistake.
no way to even make HD DVDs anymore.
all the equipment is gone, as that person that wanted to press some HD DVDs of his movie found out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,420
Default

Gotta be a mistake, there haven't been any replication facilities for HD DVD for years.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2011, 02:40 PM
gravis778's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
Gotta be a mistake, there haven't been any replication facilities for HD DVD for years.
Except, you can write HD-DVD stuff onto regular DVDs. At 128 minutes, with VC-1 compression, using variable bitrate, you can fit that entire movie onto a DVD-9 without it looking over-compressed. I actually have a few HD-DVDs (mostly from HD-Net) that are, in fact, recorded on DVD-R DLs. They play just fine in my HD-DVD player at 1080i.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Godstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
Well, if anyone can compress high definition down enough to fit on a DVD-9, it's Warner.
This is a live action anime so it might not matter much, though I really enjoyed the original.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
Except, you can write HD-DVD stuff onto regular DVDs. At 128 minutes, with VC-1 compression, using variable bitrate, you can fit that entire movie onto a DVD-9 without it looking over-compressed. I actually have a few HD-DVDs (mostly from HD-Net) that are, in fact, recorded on DVD-R DLs. They play just fine in my HD-DVD player at 1080i.
Well, if anyone can compress high definition down enough to fit on a DVD-9, it's Warner.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
This is a live action anime so it might not matter much, though I really enjoyed the original.
I loved the first half of the anime. Second half was good, but lost me at the ending. Felt like a cop out.

I have zero interest* in the Live Action adaption. Looks like it was shot on a Sony Handicam.

*Okay...not going to lie. I'd probably buy this and watch the HD-DVD disc just for the laughs.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Godstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I loved the first half of the anime. Second half was good, but lost me at the ending. Felt like a cop out.

I have zero interest* in the Live Action adaption. Looks like it was shot on a Sony Handicam.

*Okay...not going to lie. I'd probably buy this and watch the HD-DVD disc just for the laughs.
I haven't seen any previews so we'll see. The anime was screwed because they hacked the ending despite the manga. The manga doesn't end at that point, and it seemed like they were trying to wrap everything up before it was really ready.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
This is a live action anime so it might not matter much, though I really enjoyed the original.
Are you a mind reader? You quoted me 2 minutes before I made the post.

Just kidding, seen that a couple times now, a post quoted & showing up before the quoted post. Must be something off in the database.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 PM
fireseal859's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 257
Default

Not that I'm opposed to HD-DVD, but by now, what's the point?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Games Are Out In August For PS4 On The Playstation Network PSN in August (2018) HDMS TWISTED BULLET HD MOVIE SOURCE 0 08-02-2018 11:42 AM
'My Little Pony: August' is coming August 6 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 8 07-19-2013 09:03 PM
Neil Armstrong, August 5, 1930 August 25, 2012 thejnc The Water Cooler 0 08-25-2012 04:06 PM
'Gantz II: Perfect Answer' is coming January 17 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 10-06-2011 03:38 PM
'Counting Crows: August and Everything After' is coming August 30 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 07-01-2011 03:36 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off