'In Bruges' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Default 'In Bruges' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'In Bruges' has been posted. Steven Cohen says this is a great film that will stick with you for days. This Blu-ray features strong video and audio, but little in the way of weighty extras. Based on the film itself, this release is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3278/inbruges.html
Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 PM

A little late don't you think?

actually.... a LOT late.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
A little late don't you think?

actually.... a LOT late.
your refund check is in the mail!

c'mon now. Universal didn't send out a screener on this one, just like Kino didn't for Battleship Potemkin. Our hands are often full with the discs studios actually care enough about to get reviewed by sending them in, and Steven took time out of his life to cover this awesome film/disc between assignments. i'm glad as hell he did, as this one needs the attention, as people forget IN BRUGES exists, sadly. even at this bargain price its at now!

Steven, big ups! i absolutely LOVE the midget sequences in this film. just so very WRONG. i HAVE to love films that are this very non-PC.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM

I'll be going to Bruges on my next vacation.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
your refund check is in the mail!

c'mon now. Universal didn't send out a screener on this one, just like Kino didn't for Battleship Potemkin. Our hands are often full with the discs studios actually care enough about to get reviewed by sending them in, and Steven took time out of his life to cover this awesome film/disc between assignments. i'm glad as hell he did, as this one needs the attention, as people forget IN BRUGES exists, sadly. even at this bargain price its at now!

Steven, big ups! i absolutely LOVE the midget sequences in this film. just so very WRONG. i HAVE to love films that are this very non-PC.
Thanks, Nate. And yes, those sequences are a highlight. Glad to bring some attention to this cool movie. Even with the academy award nomination it's a shame that this is so overlooked. It exists, and it's pretty awesome!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 AM

This movie is so awesomely cool that even Colin Farrell's presence in it didn't spoil it for me. And that's saying a lot, because normally I can't stand the guy.
(Btw, 2nd paragraph: it's Farrell... ;-))

Brendan Gleeson is the man.

And yes, someday I too will be going there on vacation. Brilliant move by the local tourist bureau to support the film. If I recall correctly from watching the extras, even the mayor makes an appearance as an extra.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 PM

I kinda like it when some things get reviewed late. I get reminded that I wanted to buy something, or that it was even released. However, while I'm glad someone took the time to review Kino's "Battleship Potemkin", I'm still shocked that no one on the staff here has done the same for "The Complete Metropolis". While I understand that a screener wasn't sent out, it makes me wonder about an HD review staff that doesn't have one person compelled to review something that important, especially after the recently discovered footage and all. Even without that, I'd be surprised that no one has reviewed it. "Metropolis" is up there with "Wizard of Oz" in film history importance. Not to mention it is just an awesome movie that is fun to watch.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastor View Post
I kinda like it when some things get reviewed late. I get reminded that I wanted to buy something, or that it was even released. However, while I'm glad someone took the time to review Kino's "Battleship Potemkin", I'm still shocked that no one on the staff here has done the same for "The Complete Metropolis". While I understand that a screener wasn't sent out, it makes me wonder about an HD review staff that doesn't have one person compelled to review something that important, especially after the recently discovered footage and all. Even without that, I'd be surprised that no one has reviewed it. "Metropolis" is up there with "Wizard of Oz" in film history importance. Not to mention it is just an awesome movie that is fun to watch.
Metropolis won an RRL vote, it's in the queue to get reviewed, Hastor. just takes time to get a non screener reviewed when there's a constant flow of screeners that become priority.

patience, daniel-san.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:15 PM

I'm pretty sure that 'In Bruges' is somewhere in my Top 10 Favorite Films List. I was stoked that Best Buy had it for $9.99.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
I'm pretty sure that 'In Bruges' is somewhere in my Top 10 Favorite Films List. I was stoked that Best Buy had it for $9.99.
i bought it when BBY had it as an exclusive for 19.99. had sold my nordic import a year before that, and was hankerin' for some mother fuckin' bruges!

i really, really hope these review threads stop being derailed the way they have been lately, with the gift horse being so often looked in the mouth. Steven has been reviewing out of his collection between screeners, to get things caught up, to keep busy helping this site and informing readers. he wasn't on staff when this first came out. he's here now, and he's kicking ass and taking names. Battleship, Bruges, Batman Beyond...what's next? Big Daddy? Black Sheep? Bubba Ho-Tep?