'Papillon' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Default 'Papillon' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Papillon' has been posted. Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman are phenomenal in this one! This Blu-ray features stellar video (once you pass the fifteen minute mark), solid audio, but few extras. Not for everyone, but overall, it's recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4647/papillon.html
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 PM

Great film.
Sounds like they did a good job with the blu ray.
Sold!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 PM

"Steve McQueen is fascinating to watch..." indeed, always. As is Hoffman in this one.

I've always felt the pacing is brilliant. I tend to love long, quality films that tell a complete story. Always loved this film though, itís up there with Thomas Crown Affair yo. Well written review.

Not going to be hard to replace my $3 dollar DVD at all. My $3 dollar DVD, although a tremendous value, sucks actually.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:45 AM

I loved this film.

Any comments on the DigiBook content itself?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM

At what point in the movie did the disc improve? Was it when the scene switched from Europe to Devil's Island? I'm wondering if perhaps there was a change of film stock when the production moved to South America?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Former Member

i love that one of the reviewers i respect in this "trade" basically agreed with me.

Quote:
Other than the filmís opening sequence I found little to complain about in terms of the overall quality of the video
lovin' it. still a week left to preorder this puppy!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:15 PM

I love this movie, supremely well done, probably Mqueens best performance, and one of Hoffmans. I must wait for it to get cheaper though, $26 is a bit steep on a catalog title. And am I alone in hating digibooks? The cases are awkward, and just don't fit well on shelves spaced for regular Blu Rays.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
I love this movie, supremely well done, probably Mqueens best performance, and one of Hoffmans. I must wait for it to get cheaper though, $26 is a bit steep on a catalog title. And am I alone in hating digibooks? The cases are awkward, and just don't fit well on shelves spaced for regular Blu Rays.
i'm with you on that one. if a spindle gets damaged you can't replace it. the book corners are often fragile. they stick out. they're a short lived novelty that doesn't raise any value, just add to the cost. they're just a gimmick to get people to buy them if they weren't going to.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Default I must be seeing things!

I totally agree with this disc review. It is almost as if the first 2 reels came from a different source altogether from the rest of the film, PQ wise. Apparently Amazon reviewer " Steven Aldersley" also agrees with your review. It appears to be a word for word copy and paste job! (I hate it when that happens)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprofessor1955 View Post
I totally agree with this disc review. It is almost as if the first 2 reels came from a different source altogether from the rest of the film, PQ wise. Apparently Amazon reviewer " Steven Aldersley" also agrees with your review. It appears to be a word for word copy and paste job! (I hate it when that happens)
all good, all good. just glad my views on this disc aren't mine alone, and that others are seeing the same anomalies that i am. means i did my job right the first time! still, overall, very very good PQ. would have been a super high score had it not been for those early moments, but ah well, right?