Best Buy Offering Blu-ray Discounts with DVD Trades - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-09-2011, 06:19 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Best Buy Offering Blu-ray Discounts with DVD Trades

You can get five bucks off of a new Blu-ray by trading in an old DVD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies+P...5&DCMP=rdr5098
Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Great deal to get you in to a best buy store. I stopped buying from them a while ago due to amazon. Amazon gives you next to nothing on dvd trade ins though...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Great idea,but for me there wasent ANYTHING on that list that I don't all ready have/Want.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 PM

$5 off a Blu-ray at Best Buy is like getting it for regular price at Amazon, except Amazon doesn't charge tax. I used to be at my local Best Buy almost every Tuesday morning for new releases, and probably once or twice more during the week, but I've stopped going. Their media prices are not competitive, and their selection poor. 8,529 copies of Harry Potter, but good luck finding all the Criterion releases.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
Great deal to get you in to a best buy store. I stopped buying from them a while ago due to amazon. Amazon gives you next to nothing on dvd trade ins though...
Hmmm, $5 off of a $35 Blu-Ray, or I can get it on Amazon for under $20. I've just been getting mine off of Amazon, and then selling the old DVDs to friends for $5 each.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:55 PM

I buy most Blu-rays from Amazon (unless it is a Wal-Mart or Best Buy exclusive) and sell the DVD versions on Amazon. I can usually get a good price to make it worth my while; particularly if I'm selling a Criterion. If it is a DVD that is worth nothing in $, I usually give it away to relatives.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:10 PM

What a joke !!! I want to get Wall Street Never Sleeps and they're asking for $29.99 a pop. Even with the $5 off it's still way more expensive than most of their competitors. Only fools will buy a blu-ray or DVD from Best Buy (no offense) at their list price.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Here's how it went for me-

First, Amazon was the place to get HD media because of their low pricing (37% off retail) and they had a 10% off any HD disc promotion that lasted well beyond the year it was supposed to last.
Then, the 10% disappeared and tax was added to NY residents so I started exploring other options.

B&M stores became somewhat competitive (paricularly BB in Yonkers and WP, NY) up until about a year ago when I noticed better deals than what I normally see on Amazon.
People will pay more $$$ for instant gratification. If I can get the same deal in BB that's being offered by amazon, it's a no-brainer. I've been seeing a ton of movies in the 7.99-9.99 range and have added alot of movies to my collection thanks to BB.
The deals kinda fizzled and I filled out most of the blanks in my collection, but now BB is a contendor again and I'm back to going to BB on release day plus one or two more random visits per week.
Let's face it, we all love/d walking in to a B&M store on release day and getting that movie we've been waiting for so long. We did it so much when DVD's were hot and instantly stopped when we discovered amazon's competitive pricing that now it feels good to be able to have that feeling again.
I hope I can take advantage of this deal. I just want to know one thing- You have to trade in the same movie on DVD for the BD, right? I know it's a stupid question and maybe it's been mentioned before but I need to make sure.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:29 PM

ruckus,

you can trade any regular and they will give a $5 coupon. also promo started on 5/8 and ends on 6/4. also, the $5 coupon is only applicable to certain titles, 150 if i'm not mistaken. i traded 5 of my dvds yesterday and grabbed some catalog titles that i didn't have. the process was painless, my advice is check out the titles first and then go from there. hope this helps: http://www.bestbuy.com/tradeandsave?...3594900&loc=01
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus81 View Post
Let's face it, we all love/d walking in to a B&M store on release day and getting that movie we've been waiting for so long.
Not as much as I love getting home from work on release day and find the movie waiting on my doorstep in that Amazon box / envelope. Last thing I want to do after working 10 hours dealing with stupid people is to drive over to Best Buy - even if it is only 10 minutes away. I simply grab the package from behind my screen, open the door to my house, plop on the couch, and open my Amazon package. That is much better instant gratification for me.