'Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Default 'Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven Cohen has reviewed 'Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.' He says this is a worthy addition to the animated Batman universe. This Blu-ray features strong video and audio, and a small collection of extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4654/beyond_joker.html
Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 PM

I really enjoyed this when I saw it on a whim a few years ago, will pick it up at some point.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 PM

i still want to see this but havent got around to it yet.. Nate's review made me watch Under the Red Hood and i thought it was great film.. hope this one is close to it
Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 AM

IMO, Red Hood is better.

I haven't watched the deleted scenes in thespecial features yet so I don't know if this scene I remember reading about was in there, but I remember a page that listed the scenes that were too violent for the 'family' version. Alll the scenes were restored in the uncut version, except one. Here's the description:

Spoiler
in the opening fight with the Jokerz, Ghoul is scene dragging a sledgehammer and the scene of him swinging it and nearly hitting Batman in the head and Batman reacting were never put back in. All we se is Ghoul getting punched backwards and landing with the Sledgehammer.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:26 AM

I liked Red Hood much better also. Actually, this one is my least favourite out of the full length animated Batman features. It wasn't bad per se, just didn't like it as much as the rest, and the plot twist was really pushing it (even compared to the one from the Red Hood).

Also, the animation seems like it wasn't meant for high def. There are a few scenes where it zooms out, but on large displays the characters' faces are still fairly visible, and you can see that they've lost any detail they had and don't look like the same people (as if just a step up from stick figures in detail). Either they never thought it would be shown in HD, or they were rushed in the animation.

Last edited by pedram; 05-10-2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-10-2011, 12:25 PM

I'm gonna wait for the uncut version or an import since they usually have the alternate version.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:29 PM

I thought this Blu Ray version did include the uncut version?

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfellow View Post
I'm gonna wait for the uncut version or an import since they usually have the alternate version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
I thought this Blu Ray version did include the uncut version?
The blu-ray is the uncut version.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:55 PM

What Super-VHS said.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM

It should be noted the film is over 10 years old. Its not really fair to compare it to the newer films that happened to get to blu first. Really, it was one of the (though not THE) FIRST of the DC Direct to video animated movies if you wana think of it that way. And ya, not meant for HD, though I imagine there is SOME improvement over the dvd.