'America Lost and Found: The BBS Story' - High-Def Digest Review Our review of the C - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 PM

Default 'America Lost and Found: The BBS Story' - High-Def Digest Review Our review of the C

Our review of the Criterion Collection release 'America Lost and Found: The BBS Story' is up. This set features the films 'Head,' 'Easy Rider,' 'Five Easy Pieces,' 'Drive, He Said,' 'A Safe Place,' 'The King of Marvin Gardens,' and 'The Last Picture Show.' Fascinating stuff all around. The Blu-ray features sparkling video, great sounds, and tons of extras. A must own if ever there was one!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3907/america_bbs.html
Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 PM

After reading the title, I was sad that it wasn't the story of pre-internet modem communications. However, it does seem like a collection worth checking out
Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 PM

So glad I picked this up during Amazon's recent Criterion sale.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 PM

The term 'it was a steal' couldn't possibly apply any better to the price this was going for at the recent Amazon sale. I love this set. Still can't believe paid only $50 and some change for it.

Planned on just skimming through the movies and when had a clear week, would take the time to watch them all. Ended up watching Easy Rider and Last Picture Show back to back. While Easy Rider is one of those movies that I used to love a lot more when I was a younger man, still found it quite enjoyable, ending is as trippy as ever. Last Picture Show will go down as one of those movies that I will never get tired of watching. Wow just wow can't wait to watch the other three five movies in the set.

EDIT: lol, mind must've been somewhere else, obviously meant five.

Last edited by Tnecniv; 05-06-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:13 AM

Ok i just noticed that this includes Head. I would pay this much alone for it. I didnt even know it was coming to blu. Been moving and starting a new job and out of the loop. I was listening to the soundtrack less than a week ago. Awesome movie with lots of input from Jack Nicholson, he even assembled the soundtrack album.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 AM

This looks like a GREAT boxset, so great in fact, that I blind-bought it back in December and still haven't come around to sit through any of the films. The presentation is superb and I must say the small book that comes with the boxset is incredibly insightful (Have read just a couple of pages). I really like "digibook" presentation of each film, even thought I prefer Criterion's clear cases far better. Anyone know if there are replacement boxes available for each of this films?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Just "blind bought" it, if you can call it that, as I would have paid the $53 amazon price for Head alone. The rest are movies I've always planned on getting around to seeing and haven't.

Anyway, I wanted to ask how the 6 discs are divided up. Are special features on the disc with the movie they go with, or is there a separate disc will all of them? I would assume they are with their movie so that Criterion could use the same discs as standalone releases as well. Which movies are paired up? I would assume Head is probably sharing a disc as it is only 90 minutes or so.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Former Member

no bonus disc, all on each disc. in digipaks, with one having 2 films in it, the rest are one per. individual spine #s on each one.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Which two are on a disc together? Sorry if it was mentioned in the review and I missed it.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastor View Post
Which two are on a disc together? Sorry if it was mentioned in the review and I missed it.
"Drive, He Said" and "A Safe Place" come in one disc. All the other ones have their individuals pack. Also, anyone know if there are replacements cases for each one of these films? I don't mind the digibook presentation in here but, to be honest, don't tearing up corners and things like that is almost impossible with such a thin case.