'Rules of Attraction' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Default 'Rules of Attraction' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed the film adaptation Bret Easton Ellis' 'The Rules of Attraction.' He is not a fan, but he says this Blu-ray, with strong video, audio, and extras, should please Ellis' followers. For fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4624...ttraction.html
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM

No offense, but Aaron completely missed the point of this movie. I assume he didn't like American Psycho either, because he took it at face value?
This, like American Psycho, is a satire. And the fact that the characters are shallow people IS THE POINT. This is a satire of typical non-intellectual college life, where all people care about is sex, never look at the big picture, take relationships too seriously, kill themselves for stupid reasons like obsessing over a crush, and ultimately treat it like one big party without actually caring about their education.
It's funny that people constantly miss this fact when watching movies made from Bret Easton Ellis' work. Apparently, a lot of people didn't realize American Psycho was a satire either. I do admit that it's subtle (though often times, its not), but still... a little education about the film before forming your full opinion can often help.

One of my particular favourite storylines in the film is Lauren being obsessed with Victor, thinking they're all in love and stuff, and then when he returns from his trip, he doesn't even know who she is.

I don't think it's a great film or anything, and like American Psycho, you could call it a failure based on the fact that most people don't seem to realize its a satire while watching it. But if you watch it based on what the aim is, its a pretty good piece of work.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 PM

I'd go as far as to call it a black comedy.

The scene in the restaurant, that's so endlessly quotable and hilarious.

Oh and you can't forget: "Get it straight, fuckhead: I need you like I need a fucking asshole on my elbow. Right here. An asshole. That's how much I need you."
Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 PM

I liked American Psycho a lot, and I even enjoyed The Informers, but for the life of me, I just can't get through "Rules of Attraction." It's partially a problem of casting for me....hearing Dawson spew some of the lines that he spews in this movie is more laughable than anything.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_rollin View Post
No offense, but Aaron completely missed the point of this movie. I assume he didn't like American Psycho either, because he took it at face value?
This, like American Psycho, is a satire. And the fact that the characters are shallow people IS THE POINT. This is a satire of typical non-intellectual college life, where all people care about is sex, never look at the big picture, take relationships too seriously, kill themselves for stupid reasons like obsessing over a crush, and ultimately treat it like one big party without actually caring about their education.
It's funny that people constantly miss this fact when watching movies made from Bret Easton Ellis' work. Apparently, a lot of people didn't realize American Psycho was a satire either. I do admit that it's subtle (though often times, its not), but still... a little education about the film before forming your full opinion can often help.

One of my particular favourite storylines in the film is Lauren being obsessed with Victor, thinking they're all in love and stuff, and then when he returns from his trip, he doesn't even know who she is.

I don't think it's a great film or anything, and like American Psycho, you could call it a failure based on the fact that most people don't seem to realize its a satire while watching it. But if you watch it based on what the aim is, its a pretty good piece of work.
No, believe me. I get the point. I just don't buy it, engage with it, or think it's good storytelling. The problem with shallow moronic characters that care about nothing is they may indeed end up doing nothing. Which is exactly what happens in 'The Rules of Attraction'. So, yes I understand "the point," but that doesn't make it good.

Twitter: @AaronPeck

Last edited by paaron46; 04-25-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Well, to each his own, but it just doesn't seem like you're giving it it's due credit, since what you're saying about the characters is exactly what the film is saying about them. You agree with the film, and yet in you seem to think that you disagree with it. Which, to me, is evidence that you didn't understand it. Not once in your review do you mention that it's a satire or give any sort of impression of being aware of that, so I can only assume that you weren't aware of it.

Are you absolutely sure that you got the point?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_rollin View Post
Well, to each his own, but it just doesn't seem like you're giving it it's due credit, since what you're saying about the characters is exactly what the film is saying about them. You agree with the film, and yet in your review, you give the impression that you strongly disagreed with it. Which, to me, is evidence that you didn't understand it. Not once in your review to you mention that it's a satire or give any sort of impression of being aware of that, so I can only assume that you weren't aware of it.

Are you absolutely sure that you got the point?
Again, yes. I get the point. Calling it a "satire" doesn't make it a better movie. You can call it anything you want, but my point is that these characters are reprehensible, uninteresting, and idiotic. Satire or not, I don't want to spend over 100 minutes following these people around while they do nothing. I agree with Ebert who said ""The Rules of Attraction" is a skillfully made movie about reprehensible people."

Also, I really hate to pull this out, but with only 43% of critics liking it on RottenTomatoes, it seems that I'm not the only one who gets the point, but still hates the movie.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I'll never understand Bret Easton Ellis' obsession with shallow insipid characters. 'The Rules of Attraction' is another one of his novels which was adapted into a movie in the 90s.
This film came out in 2002 - no Bret Easton Ellis adaptations were made at all in the 90s.

It's been years since I've seen it, but I used to really like it - it's hysterical in points.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 AM

I usually like Bret Easton Ellis, including the book upon which this is based, but I'm with you, Aaron. It would be difficult to express how much I hate this movie without running to four paragraphs.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spader View Post
This film came out in 2002 - no Bret Easton Ellis adaptations were made at all in the 90s.

It's been years since I've seen it, but I used to really like it - it's hysterical in points.
Whoops, you're right. My mistake. It's been corrected.